What's the history of Stagecoach Inn Museum?
Issue: A reader wants to know how the Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum came to be and what the story is behind it.
Status: The Elmbrook Historical Society is an affiliate of the Wisconsin Historical Society and was founded in 1980. The Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum is the society's main project, according to Elmbrook Historical Society's website.
The website describes the inn as a Greek revival inn.
According to the website:
The inn was built in 1842 and originally stood at the corner of Bluemound and Watertown Plank roads.
Daniel Brown purchased the property in 1857 and ran it as an inn for travelers going by stagecoach from Milwaukee to Watertown on the famed plank road.
By 1875, railroads replaced stagecoach travel and the inn property became a farm.
Charles Dunkel obtained the farm in 1887. Dunkel's descendent, John Behling, donated the inn to the city of Brookfield in 1980.
The historical society leased the inn from the city and moved the inn to its current location in 1981.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will the Capitol Drive construction be over?
- Ask NOW: Why are barns almost always painted red?
- Ask NOW: Did Marasco's Craft King close?
- Ask NOW: When will Brookfield expand its recycling program?
- Ask NOW: Flashing yellow turn arrows becoming more widely used statewide
- Ask NOW: Does the Brookfield Public Library routinely forgive fines?
- Does traffic light timing change during snowstorms?
- Ask NOW: What happens to blood after it's donated?
- Was a Brookfield cemetery relocated due to construction?
- Ask NOW: Has the city of Brookfield surveyed the white tail deer population this winter?
- Ask NOW: What happened to the Elm Grove Inn?
- Ask NOW: How are traffic cameras being used?
- Ask NOW: Who's responsible for clearing snow in city?
- Ask NOW: Driver annoyed she can't turn left at 144th and Capitol
- Ask NOW: Are more changes planned for Imperial Park?
- Ask NOW: Where are city vehicles repaired?
- Ask NOW: Reader doesn't like Capitol Drive sidewalks
- Ask NOW: Is Brookfield still trying to incorporate?
- Ask NOW: Eble farm house torn down due to poor condition
- Ask NOW: Manhole frames recessed for a reason