Reader doesn't like Capitol Drive sidewalks
Issue: A reader wants to know who decided to install sidewalks along Capitol Drive from Brookfield Road to 124th Street. He is concerned the sidewalks are dangerous because they are close to traffic. He also said the sidewalks are not continuous on the north side of the road from Lily Road to 124th Street and wants to know why.
Status: Jeff Chase, city engineer, explained that the sidewalk was a partner project between the state Department of Transportation and the city of Brookfield. The DOT would not have put the sidewalks in on their own, Chase said. The Federal Highway Administration paid 80 percent of the project costs, and the city paid 20 percent, he added.
Chase agreed that portions of the sidewalk are less than ideal for pedestrian comfort because of the proximity to traffic. But, there is nothing inherently dangerous about the walkways and they meet all appropriate design regulations, he added.
"Ideally there would be more room, but in some sections there just was no additional space on the right of way," Chase said. "Admittedly the space between the sidewalk and traffic is less than Brookfield residents are used to; however, it is very common to have limited space between the sidewalk and traffic in more urbanized areas."
Chase said the sidewalk is continuous on the north side from 124th Street to Brookfield Road. The only break in the sidewalk is on the south side of the road by Wisconsin Memorial Park, he said.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Is Brookfield's population really that old?
- Ask Now: Any plans for Brookfield's former Venice Club?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why are dogs required to be licensed?
- Ask Now: How much is public service worth in the city of Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is there wifi at Brookfield city hall?
- Ask Now: Too much goose use of Fox Brook Park?
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?
- Ask Now: Does Elmbrook Humane Society leave animals outside?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Ask Now: Wireless dead zones, what is to be done?
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?