Reader doesn't like Capitol Drive sidewalks
Issue: A reader wants to know who decided to install sidewalks along Capitol Drive from Brookfield Road to 124th Street. He is concerned the sidewalks are dangerous because they are close to traffic. He also said the sidewalks are not continuous on the north side of the road from Lily Road to 124th Street and wants to know why.
Status: Jeff Chase, city engineer, explained that the sidewalk was a partner project between the state Department of Transportation and the city of Brookfield. The DOT would not have put the sidewalks in on their own, Chase said. The Federal Highway Administration paid 80 percent of the project costs, and the city paid 20 percent, he added.
Chase agreed that portions of the sidewalk are less than ideal for pedestrian comfort because of the proximity to traffic. But, there is nothing inherently dangerous about the walkways and they meet all appropriate design regulations, he added.
"Ideally there would be more room, but in some sections there just was no additional space on the right of way," Chase said. "Admittedly the space between the sidewalk and traffic is less than Brookfield residents are used to; however, it is very common to have limited space between the sidewalk and traffic in more urbanized areas."
Chase said the sidewalk is continuous on the north side from 124th Street to Brookfield Road. The only break in the sidewalk is on the south side of the road by Wisconsin Memorial Park, he said.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Burger King in the Town of Brookfield?
- Brookfield AskNOW for June 26: Where are the jobs?
- Ask NOW: Which side is the rich side of town?
- Ask NOW: How many elm trees does the Village of Elm Grove actually have?
- Ask NOW: Where did the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts get its name?
- Ask NOW: Should people take more care with their lawn care?
- Ask NOW: Can cars go over grass in order to pass on the right?
- Ask NOW: Reader wonders if bicyclists should use pathways
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident wonders when he is allowed to pass on the right
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident worried about pedestrians at Kinsey Park
- Ask NOW: How should residents handle suspicious solicitors?
- Ask NOW: Reader concerned about wooden path on Brookfield Road
- Ask NOW: Reader's question leads to signage change