Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? NOW's Scottie Lee Meyers answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and Elm Grove.
Is Sluggo's under new ownership?
Answer: Sluggo's Sports Bar owner Tom Beckman said his tavern and grill is like the popular TV show, "Cheers." It's a place where everybody knows your name. Except lately there's been some confusion.
The bar, located at 12760 W. Burleigh Road, has run under the name "Ella's Barstaurant" for more than a year. But on July 1, it returned to the former and long-held name of Sluggo's.
The bar has stood for nearly 40 years, said Beckman, but he didn't buy it until 1996. In the early days, the business was propped up by the thirsty Briggs & Stratton workers who crossed the street after their shifts to cash in their payroll checks and grab a drink.
Beckman wasn't new to the bar business when he took over Sluggo's. He bought his first bar along Brady Street in Milwaukee roughly 37 years ago. It was a rugby-themed sports bar, although today you know it as the Up and Under.
Over the years he's owned up to four bars at a time, but now owns Sluggo's and Magoo's on 89th and National streets.
"I'm half the man I used to be, because I only own two bars now," he joked.
Last year he decided to sell Sluggo's to a couple of brothers, who renamed it after one of their daughters.
Busy with other business endeavors, the brothers didn't have time to run the Burleigh bar. So Beckman came back into the picture, bought it back without reluctance.
"To be honest I missed it. I like serving people, and I like conversing with them and all the interactions," he said.
Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot. Wouldn't you like to get away? Sometimes you want to go to Sluggo's. Definitely Sluggo's.
Submit your question to email@example.com or online at BrookfieldNOW.com/ask.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?
- Ask NOW: Are there local families who will use a food pantry this Thanksgiving?
- Ask NOW: Why are there barriers at Brookfield Road and North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will sidewalks on Capitol Drive be cleared of snow this winter?
- Ask NOW: Are little roadside libraries allowed in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: What are costs of maintaining and demolishing Eble Park barn?
- Ask NOW: Who is responsible for cutting the grass along the new sidewalk on Capitol Drive?
- Ask NOW: Public meeting addresses future of Eble Park
- Ask NOW: Will the dog swimming area at Fox Brook Park re-open?
- Ask NOW: How does the local senior taxi service work?
- Ask NOW: Is it legal to drive with headphones on?
- Ask NOW: Do I need to get a license for my pets?
- Ask NOW: What's up with those orange bikes around town?
- Ask NOW: When is Applewood Assisted Living center opening?
- Ask NOW: Is there a curfew for minors in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: How do those smiley face fireworks work?
- Ask NOW: Do you need a fishing license to fish in area lagoons?
- Ask NOW: What's going on at the old Sentry on 131st Street and Hampton Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Why can't 16-year-olds check out movies at the Brookfield Public Library?
- Ask NOW: When is it too early to cut your grass?