Is library's checkout process really most efficient?
Issue: A reader wants to know why the Brookfield Public Library doesn't have a single line at the checkout area instead of multiple lines that move at different speeds.
Status: Edell Schaefer, library director, said she has considered this idea, but one line would not be possible because of the building design. People are coming to the checkout from both the adult side and the children's side of the library so it would be difficult to have one line.
Schaefer added that there is a wall that restricts where the line could go and because of the limited space, one line would cause congestion and block people as they try to walk through that area.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When do the street lights go on?
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?
- Ask NOW: Are there local families who will use a food pantry this Thanksgiving?
- Ask NOW: Why are there barriers at Brookfield Road and North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will sidewalks on Capitol Drive be cleared of snow this winter?
- Ask NOW: Are little roadside libraries allowed in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: What are costs of maintaining and demolishing Eble Park barn?
- Ask NOW: Who is responsible for cutting the grass along the new sidewalk on Capitol Drive?
- Ask NOW: Public meeting addresses future of Eble Park
- Ask NOW: Will the dog swimming area at Fox Brook Park re-open?
- Ask NOW: How does the local senior taxi service work?
- Ask NOW: Is it legal to drive with headphones on?
- Ask NOW: Is Sluggo's under new ownership?
- Ask NOW: Do I need to get a license for my pets?
- Ask NOW: What's up with those orange bikes around town?
- Ask NOW: When is Applewood Assisted Living center opening?
- Ask NOW: Is there a curfew for minors in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: How do those smiley face fireworks work?
- Ask NOW: Do you need a fishing license to fish in area lagoons?
- Ask NOW: What's going on at the old Sentry on 131st Street and Hampton Avenue?