Is there a rumor you've heard you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy answers some of the mysteries of life in the Elmbrook area.
History of St. Mary's Thrift Shop intrigues reader
Issue: A reader wants to know the history of St. Mary's Thrift Shop in Elm Grove. She is curious to know how the store came about, who runs the store and how much revenue it brings in a year.
Status: I spoke with Penny Kannall, manager of St. Mary's Thrift Shop, and she said that no one seems to know for sure how the store started but she believes it began in the St. Mary's Visitation Parish School basement as a clothing exchange between families.
She explained that because the families usually had many children, they would exchange clothing to save money. Over time the families began selling the clothes instead of trading them. The shop moved from the school basement to the church across the street and then to the current location, 13150 Juneau Blvd., about 10 years ago.
The store brings in about $150,000 a year, and the vast majority of it goes to the school in order to keep tuition down, Kannall said. She said she is the store's only full-time paid employee. A few part-time employees and several volunteers work at the store as well. The store is open Monday, Tuesday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Any plans for Brookfield's former Venice Club?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why are dogs required to be licensed?
- Ask Now: How much is public service worth in the city of Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is there wifi at Brookfield city hall?
- Ask Now: Too much goose use of Fox Brook Park?
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?
- Ask Now: Does Elmbrook Humane Society leave animals outside?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Ask Now: Wireless dead zones, what is to be done?
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?
- Ask Now: Is Big Brother watching you?