Is there a rumor you've heard you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy answers some of the mysteries of life in the Elmbrook area.
History of St. Mary's Thrift Shop intrigues reader
Issue: A reader wants to know the history of St. Mary's Thrift Shop in Elm Grove. She is curious to know how the store came about, who runs the store and how much revenue it brings in a year.
Status: I spoke with Penny Kannall, manager of St. Mary's Thrift Shop, and she said that no one seems to know for sure how the store started but she believes it began in the St. Mary's Visitation Parish School basement as a clothing exchange between families.
She explained that because the families usually had many children, they would exchange clothing to save money. Over time the families began selling the clothes instead of trading them. The shop moved from the school basement to the church across the street and then to the current location, 13150 Juneau Blvd., about 10 years ago.
The store brings in about $150,000 a year, and the vast majority of it goes to the school in order to keep tuition down, Kannall said. She said she is the store's only full-time paid employee. A few part-time employees and several volunteers work at the store as well. The store is open Monday, Tuesday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Who were the Ebles and what did they want for their land?
- Ask NOW: Are there plans for improvements at Calhoun and Burleigh roads?
- Ask NOW: What's going on in the old Ethan Allen store?
- Ask NOW: How many dump trucks of dirt will be coming out of the Corners?
- Ask NOW: Does Brookfield pay its interns?
- Ask NOW: What's happening to Applebee's?
- Ask NOW: Will residents soon have to take trash to the curb?
- Ask NOW: Has moving fire station caused delays for responses to Brookfield Square?
- Ask NOW: How can the city get a park on the Sileno property?
- Ask NOW: Does BRAD group have conflict of interest?
- Ask NOW: Who is Goerke?
- Ask NOW: What is required of school buses crossing tracks?
- Ask NOW: When do the street lights go on?
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?
- Ask NOW: Are there local families who will use a food pantry this Thanksgiving?
- Ask NOW: Why are there barriers at Brookfield Road and North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will sidewalks on Capitol Drive be cleared of snow this winter?
- Ask NOW: Are little roadside libraries allowed in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: What are costs of maintaining and demolishing Eble Park barn?
- Ask NOW: Who is responsible for cutting the grass along the new sidewalk on Capitol Drive?