Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Is fire service delayed at Brookfield Square?
Question: Responding to a story about expansions planned at Brookfield Square Mall, a reader commented that there has been an ongoing problem with delayed fire service since the station moved farther away in 2009. We asked Brookfield's fire chief.
Answer: It does take firefighters longer to get to Brookfield Square now then it did before the station moved, but Fire Chief Charlie Myers said he hasn't heard any complaints.
The department's former location was extremely convenient for the mall. At 1000 S. Moorland Road, it was just a half-mile away from the mall, 95 N. Moorland Road. But Myers said the response time now is only a couple minutes, and the slightly longer wait hasn't been brought up as an issue by the mall's ownership or any of the occupants.
The Fire Department moved out of the Moorland Road location in December of 2009, and into a new station at the northwest corner of Calhoun Road and Greenfield Avenue, about two miles from the mall. The stations were moved in order to improve response times in the western part of the city.
Myers said most of the calls the department responds to at Brookfield Square are for emergency medical services and car accidents. It also responds to some fire alarms, but he said the department hasn't had to respond to an actual fire at the mall since moving to its new location.
Email Rory Linnane with your question at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brookfield Ask Now: How does the city attack garlic mustard weed?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: How can a young person help out at the humane society?
- Ask Now: Will there be a lighting test at Golf Parkway?
- Ask Now: How are city committee members assigned?
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What makes a left turn arrow appropriate?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Any thoughts of turkey population control?
- Ask Now: Why can trains blow horns in Brookfield?
- Brookfield Ask Now: When will Calhoun Road be improved?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market?
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development?
- Ask Now: Do police keep those who live near crime scenes more informed?
- Ask Now: Are there any special rules for owners of pit bulls?
- Ask Now: Can you move snow into the street in Brookfield?