Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Is fire service delayed at Brookfield Square?
Question: Responding to a story about expansions planned at Brookfield Square Mall, a reader commented that there has been an ongoing problem with delayed fire service since the station moved farther away in 2009. We asked Brookfield's fire chief.
Answer: It does take firefighters longer to get to Brookfield Square now then it did before the station moved, but Fire Chief Charlie Myers said he hasn't heard any complaints.
The department's former location was extremely convenient for the mall. At 1000 S. Moorland Road, it was just a half-mile away from the mall, 95 N. Moorland Road. But Myers said the response time now is only a couple minutes, and the slightly longer wait hasn't been brought up as an issue by the mall's ownership or any of the occupants.
The Fire Department moved out of the Moorland Road location in December of 2009, and into a new station at the northwest corner of Calhoun Road and Greenfield Avenue, about two miles from the mall. The stations were moved in order to improve response times in the western part of the city.
Myers said most of the calls the department responds to at Brookfield Square are for emergency medical services and car accidents. It also responds to some fire alarms, but he said the department hasn't had to respond to an actual fire at the mall since moving to its new location.
Email Rory Linnane with your question at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market?
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development?
- Ask Now: Do police keep those who live near crime scenes more informed?
- Ask Now: Are there any special rules for owners of pit bulls?
- Ask Now: Can you move snow into the street in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: How much are TIFs costing the city?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What will be done about the Elm Grove railroad crossing?
- Brookfield Ask Now: What are the plow drivers up to?
- Ask Now: How is Elm Grove's future park plan coming along?
- Ask Now: Why is fiber optic cable being installed in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: A railroad crossing on Calhoun Road makes for a rough ride. Are changes planned?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Library staff reorganization promotes flexibility
- Ask Now: When will the TIF referendum topic be discussed?
- Ask Now: Why are Christmas trees allowed in public spaces?
- Ask Now: What is MSO?
- Ask Now: Can you burn leaves in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Why are Brookfield utility bills going to West Allis?
- Ask Now: Wisconsin Ave. extension still in the works?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Why are lanes closed on Bluemound Road?
- Ask Now: Do park hours change with the seasons?