Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Is fire service delayed at Brookfield Square?
Question: Responding to a story about expansions planned at Brookfield Square Mall, a reader commented that there has been an ongoing problem with delayed fire service since the station moved farther away in 2009. We asked Brookfield's fire chief.
Answer: It does take firefighters longer to get to Brookfield Square now then it did before the station moved, but Fire Chief Charlie Myers said he hasn't heard any complaints.
The department's former location was extremely convenient for the mall. At 1000 S. Moorland Road, it was just a half-mile away from the mall, 95 N. Moorland Road. But Myers said the response time now is only a couple minutes, and the slightly longer wait hasn't been brought up as an issue by the mall's ownership or any of the occupants.
The Fire Department moved out of the Moorland Road location in December of 2009, and into a new station at the northwest corner of Calhoun Road and Greenfield Avenue, about two miles from the mall. The stations were moved in order to improve response times in the western part of the city.
Myers said most of the calls the department responds to at Brookfield Square are for emergency medical services and car accidents. It also responds to some fire alarms, but he said the department hasn't had to respond to an actual fire at the mall since moving to its new location.
Email Rory Linnane with your question at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Who were the Ebles and what did they want for their land?
- Ask NOW: Are there plans for improvements at Calhoun and Burleigh roads?
- Ask NOW: What's going on in the old Ethan Allen store?
- Ask NOW: How many dump trucks of dirt will be coming out of the Corners?
- Ask NOW: Does Brookfield pay its interns?
- Ask NOW: What's happening to Applebee's?
- Ask NOW: Will residents soon have to take trash to the curb?
- Ask NOW: How can the city get a park on the Sileno property?
- Ask NOW: Does BRAD group have conflict of interest?
- Ask NOW: Who is Goerke?
- Ask NOW: What is required of school buses crossing tracks?
- Ask NOW: When do the street lights go on?
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?
- Ask NOW: Are there local families who will use a food pantry this Thanksgiving?
- Ask NOW: Why are there barriers at Brookfield Road and North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will sidewalks on Capitol Drive be cleared of snow this winter?
- Ask NOW: Are little roadside libraries allowed in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: What are costs of maintaining and demolishing Eble Park barn?
- Ask NOW: Who is responsible for cutting the grass along the new sidewalk on Capitol Drive?
- Ask NOW: Public meeting addresses future of Eble Park