Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Is fire service delayed at Brookfield Square?
Question: Responding to a story about expansions planned at Brookfield Square Mall, a reader commented that there has been an ongoing problem with delayed fire service since the station moved farther away in 2009. We asked Brookfield's fire chief.
Answer: It does take firefighters longer to get to Brookfield Square now then it did before the station moved, but Fire Chief Charlie Myers said he hasn't heard any complaints.
The department's former location was extremely convenient for the mall. At 1000 S. Moorland Road, it was just a half-mile away from the mall, 95 N. Moorland Road. But Myers said the response time now is only a couple minutes, and the slightly longer wait hasn't been brought up as an issue by the mall's ownership or any of the occupants.
The Fire Department moved out of the Moorland Road location in December of 2009, and into a new station at the northwest corner of Calhoun Road and Greenfield Avenue, about two miles from the mall. The stations were moved in order to improve response times in the western part of the city.
Myers said most of the calls the department responds to at Brookfield Square are for emergency medical services and car accidents. It also responds to some fire alarms, but he said the department hasn't had to respond to an actual fire at the mall since moving to its new location.
Email Rory Linnane with your question at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?
- Ask Now: What are Brookfield's policies for abandoned houses?
- Ask Now: What is an arterial road?
- Ask Now: Is Brookfield's population really that old?
- Ask Now: Any plans for Brookfield's former Venice Club?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why are dogs required to be licensed?
- Ask Now: How much is public service worth in the city of Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is there wifi at Brookfield city hall?
- Ask Now: Too much goose use of Fox Brook Park?
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?
- Ask Now: Does Elmbrook Humane Society leave animals outside?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Ask Now: Wireless dead zones, what is to be done?
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?