Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Is fire service delayed at Brookfield Square?
Question: Responding to a story about expansions planned at Brookfield Square Mall, a reader commented that there has been an ongoing problem with delayed fire service since the station moved farther away in 2009. We asked Brookfield's fire chief.
Answer: It does take firefighters longer to get to Brookfield Square now then it did before the station moved, but Fire Chief Charlie Myers said he hasn't heard any complaints.
The department's former location was extremely convenient for the mall. At 1000 S. Moorland Road, it was just a half-mile away from the mall, 95 N. Moorland Road. But Myers said the response time now is only a couple minutes, and the slightly longer wait hasn't been brought up as an issue by the mall's ownership or any of the occupants.
The Fire Department moved out of the Moorland Road location in December of 2009, and into a new station at the northwest corner of Calhoun Road and Greenfield Avenue, about two miles from the mall. The stations were moved in order to improve response times in the western part of the city.
Myers said most of the calls the department responds to at Brookfield Square are for emergency medical services and car accidents. It also responds to some fire alarms, but he said the department hasn't had to respond to an actual fire at the mall since moving to its new location.
Email Rory Linnane with your question at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Wisconsin Ave. extension still in the works?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Why are lanes closed on Bluemound Road?
- Ask Now: Do park hours change with the seasons?
- Ask Now: More roundabouts coming?
- Ask Now: How do I get an idea to the common council?
- Ask Now: Soil samples taken at Pilgrim and Gebhardt in Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why the yellow blinking arrows?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What's up with Fun World?
- Ask Now: Does the city get involved when similar businesses seek to open?
- Ask Now: What is going on with the Capitol Drive water tower?
- Ask Now: Does the city police department collect prescription drugs?
- Ask Now: Who reviews city architecture?
- Ask Now: Who guards the lifeguards from the sun?
- Ask Now: Fewer meetings? Same pay?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Overnight parking on the street?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why has electronic recycling stopped?
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Stars and Stripes in a frame?
- Ask Now: Too many intersections in close proximity?
- Ask Now: How does one get appointed to a Brookfield committee?