Is there a rumor you've heard you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy answers some of the mysteries of life in the Elmbrook area.
Heritage Christian's old building getting rundown
Issue: A reader wants to know what the plans are for the old Heritage Christian School building. According to the reader, the property is rundown and does not seem to be up to code.
Status: Dan Ertl, director of community development, said the current owner is looking to sell the property but the land is zoned for single-family residential use and will be costly to rehabilitate.
However, if an entity such as a school, church, day care or nursing home could afford to rehabilitate the property, it could receive a conditional-use approval and would be allowed to operate in the single-family residential zone, Ertl said. In the process of obtaining the conditional-use approval, there would be a public hearing first.
"There currently are no applications," Ertl said. "But, we remain hopeful for the sake of the neighborhood and the property owner that a school, church or day care center finds the funds to rehabilitate the property for use of that type."
The property owner has been cooperative with the city, Ertl added. After receiving complaints, the city inspector requested that the owner cut the grass regularly and the owner complied. Complaints about other violations can be directed to the city inspector; however, the property has to be in pretty poor condition before it becomes a code violation. Problems such as peeling paint do not warrant a code violation, Ertl explained.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Ask Now: How are city committee members assigned?
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What makes a left turn arrow appropriate?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Any thoughts of turkey population control?
- Ask Now: Why can trains blow horns in Brookfield?
- Brookfield Ask Now: When will Calhoun Road be improved?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market?
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development?
- Ask Now: Do police keep those who live near crime scenes more informed?
- Ask Now: Are there any special rules for owners of pit bulls?
- Ask Now: Can you move snow into the street in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: How much are TIFs costing the city?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What will be done about the Elm Grove railroad crossing?
- Brookfield Ask Now: What are the plow drivers up to?