Is there a rumor you've heard you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy answers some of the mysteries of life in the Elmbrook area.
Heritage Christian's old building getting rundown
Issue: A reader wants to know what the plans are for the old Heritage Christian School building. According to the reader, the property is rundown and does not seem to be up to code.
Status: Dan Ertl, director of community development, said the current owner is looking to sell the property but the land is zoned for single-family residential use and will be costly to rehabilitate.
However, if an entity such as a school, church, day care or nursing home could afford to rehabilitate the property, it could receive a conditional-use approval and would be allowed to operate in the single-family residential zone, Ertl said. In the process of obtaining the conditional-use approval, there would be a public hearing first.
"There currently are no applications," Ertl said. "But, we remain hopeful for the sake of the neighborhood and the property owner that a school, church or day care center finds the funds to rehabilitate the property for use of that type."
The property owner has been cooperative with the city, Ertl added. After receiving complaints, the city inspector requested that the owner cut the grass regularly and the owner complied. Complaints about other violations can be directed to the city inspector; however, the property has to be in pretty poor condition before it becomes a code violation. Problems such as peeling paint do not warrant a code violation, Ertl explained.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Reader concerned about wooden path on Brookfield Road
- Ask NOW: Reader's question leads to signage change
- Ask NOW: Will Elmbrook Church respond to the gun left in the bathroom?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a stop sign at Main Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Ask NOW: What can residents do about phone scams?
- Ask NOW: Is the emerald ash borer coming to Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: Who were the Ebles and what did they want for their land?
- Ask NOW: Are there plans for improvements at Calhoun and Burleigh roads?
- Ask NOW: What's going on in the old Ethan Allen store?
- Ask NOW: How many dump trucks of dirt will be coming out of the Corners?
- Ask NOW: Does Brookfield pay its interns?
- Ask NOW: What's happening to Applebee's?
- Ask NOW: Will residents soon have to take trash to the curb?
- Ask NOW: Has moving fire station caused delays for responses to Brookfield Square?
- Ask NOW: How can the city get a park on the Sileno property?
- Ask NOW: Does BRAD group have conflict of interest?
- Ask NOW: Who is Goerke?
- Ask NOW: What is required of school buses crossing tracks?
- Ask NOW: When do the street lights go on?
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?