Is there a rumor you've heard you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy answers some of the mysteries of life in the Elmbrook area.
Heritage Christian's old building getting rundown
Issue: A reader wants to know what the plans are for the old Heritage Christian School building. According to the reader, the property is rundown and does not seem to be up to code.
Status: Dan Ertl, director of community development, said the current owner is looking to sell the property but the land is zoned for single-family residential use and will be costly to rehabilitate.
However, if an entity such as a school, church, day care or nursing home could afford to rehabilitate the property, it could receive a conditional-use approval and would be allowed to operate in the single-family residential zone, Ertl said. In the process of obtaining the conditional-use approval, there would be a public hearing first.
"There currently are no applications," Ertl said. "But, we remain hopeful for the sake of the neighborhood and the property owner that a school, church or day care center finds the funds to rehabilitate the property for use of that type."
The property owner has been cooperative with the city, Ertl added. After receiving complaints, the city inspector requested that the owner cut the grass regularly and the owner complied. Complaints about other violations can be directed to the city inspector; however, the property has to be in pretty poor condition before it becomes a code violation. Problems such as peeling paint do not warrant a code violation, Ertl explained.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Ask Now: Why are lanes closed on Bluemound Road?
- Ask Now: Do park hours change with the seasons?
- Ask Now: More roundabouts coming?
- Ask Now: How do I get an idea to the common council?
- Ask Now: Soil samples taken at Pilgrim and Gebhardt in Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why the yellow blinking arrows?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What's up with Fun World?
- Ask Now: Does the city get involved when similar businesses seek to open?
- Ask Now: What is going on with the Capitol Drive water tower?
- Ask Now: Does the city police department collect prescription drugs?
- Ask Now: Who reviews city architecture?
- Ask Now: Who guards the lifeguards from the sun?
- Ask Now: Fewer meetings? Same pay?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Overnight parking on the street?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why has electronic recycling stopped?
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Stars and Stripes in a frame?
- Ask Now: Too many intersections in close proximity?
- Ask Now: How does one get appointed to a Brookfield committee?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Can ATVs be ridden in public right of way?