Driver annoyed with no left turn at 144th and Capitol
Issue: A reader wants to know why drivers cannot turn left onto Capitol Drive from 144th Street. She said that instead of driving to a median-break to make a left and continue west, drivers must head east on Capitol Drive and make a U-turn. She is worried that crossing three lanes of traffic for the U-turn is more dangerous.
Status: Michael Pyritz, Wisconsin Department of Transportation communications specialist, said WisDOT decided a U-turn would be safer. Studies have shown that busy roads are safer when they have fewer median breaks and cars waiting to turn at medians. He said that if the driver would have had enough time to safely cross to the median, then they should have enough time to cross to the left lane to make a U-turn.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?
- Ask NOW: Are there local families who will use a food pantry this Thanksgiving?
- Ask NOW: Why are there barriers at Brookfield Road and North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will sidewalks on Capitol Drive be cleared of snow this winter?
- Ask NOW: Are little roadside libraries allowed in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: What are costs of maintaining and demolishing Eble Park barn?
- Ask NOW: Who is responsible for cutting the grass along the new sidewalk on Capitol Drive?
- Ask NOW: Public meeting addresses future of Eble Park
- Ask NOW: Will the dog swimming area at Fox Brook Park re-open?
- Ask NOW: How does the local senior taxi service work?
- Ask NOW: Is it legal to drive with headphones on?
- Ask NOW: Is Sluggo's under new ownership?
- Ask NOW: Do I need to get a license for my pets?
- Ask NOW: What's up with those orange bikes around town?
- Ask NOW: When is Applewood Assisted Living center opening?
- Ask NOW: Is there a curfew for minors in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: How do those smiley face fireworks work?
- Ask NOW: Do you need a fishing license to fish in area lagoons?
- Ask NOW: What's going on at the old Sentry on 131st Street and Hampton Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Why can't 16-year-olds check out movies at the Brookfield Public Library?