Driver annoyed with no left turn at 144th and Capitol
Issue: A reader wants to know why drivers cannot turn left onto Capitol Drive from 144th Street. She said that instead of driving to a median-break to make a left and continue west, drivers must head east on Capitol Drive and make a U-turn. She is worried that crossing three lanes of traffic for the U-turn is more dangerous.
Status: Michael Pyritz, Wisconsin Department of Transportation communications specialist, said WisDOT decided a U-turn would be safer. Studies have shown that busy roads are safer when they have fewer median breaks and cars waiting to turn at medians. He said that if the driver would have had enough time to safely cross to the median, then they should have enough time to cross to the left lane to make a U-turn.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Why are barns almost always painted red?
- Ask NOW: Did Marasco's Craft King close?
- Ask NOW: When will Brookfield expand its recycling program?
- Ask NOW: Flashing yellow turn arrows becoming more widely used statewide
- Ask NOW: Does the Brookfield Public Library routinely forgive fines?
- Does traffic light timing change during snowstorms?
- Ask NOW: What happens to blood after it's donated?
- Was a Brookfield cemetery relocated due to construction?
- Ask NOW: Has the city of Brookfield surveyed the white tail deer population this winter?
- Ask NOW: What happened to the Elm Grove Inn?
- Ask NOW: How are traffic cameras being used?
- Ask NOW: Who's responsible for clearing snow in city?
- Ask NOW: Are more changes planned for Imperial Park?
- Ask NOW: Where are city vehicles repaired?
- Ask NOW: Reader doesn't like Capitol Drive sidewalks
- Ask NOW: Is Brookfield still trying to incorporate?
- Ask NOW: What's the story behind the Stagecoach Inn Museum?
- Ask NOW: Eble farm house torn down due to poor condition
- Ask NOW: Manhole frames recessed for a reason
- Ask NOW: Bluemound Road lanes are narrower now