Driver annoyed with no left turn at 144th and Capitol
Issue: A reader wants to know why drivers cannot turn left onto Capitol Drive from 144th Street. She said that instead of driving to a median-break to make a left and continue west, drivers must head east on Capitol Drive and make a U-turn. She is worried that crossing three lanes of traffic for the U-turn is more dangerous.
Status: Michael Pyritz, Wisconsin Department of Transportation communications specialist, said WisDOT decided a U-turn would be safer. Studies have shown that busy roads are safer when they have fewer median breaks and cars waiting to turn at medians. He said that if the driver would have had enough time to safely cross to the median, then they should have enough time to cross to the left lane to make a U-turn.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Burger King in the Town of Brookfield?
- Brookfield AskNOW for June 26: Where are the jobs?
- Ask NOW: Which side is the rich side of town?
- Ask NOW: How many elm trees does the Village of Elm Grove actually have?
- Ask NOW: Where did the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts get its name?
- Ask NOW: Should people take more care with their lawn care?
- Ask NOW: Can cars go over grass in order to pass on the right?
- Ask NOW: Reader wonders if bicyclists should use pathways
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident wonders when he is allowed to pass on the right