Bluemound Road lanes are narrower now
Issue: A reader noticed that since the repaving project on Bluemound Road, it seems like the new lanes, particularly the middle lane, are narrower. She wants to know if there is any truth to this, and if so, why this is.
Status: Steve Schindler, Wisconsin Department of Transportation project manager, said the lanes narrow as they approach intersections to make room for new bike lanes.
These new bike lanes are called keyhole bike lanes and they run between the right-turn lane and the outside through-lane at intersections, Schindler said. These lanes allow bikers to continue straight through the intersection without getting in the way of drivers turning right.
The bike lanes take up more space and have caused the driving lanes to narrow as they approach intersections; but the driving lanes still meet all width requirements, Schindler said.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?
- Ask Now: Is Big Brother watching you?
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: The weeds are back — who is responsible?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?