A Milwaukee woman who showed up at a Brookfield church Sunday toting a loaded Glock 9mm handgun told parishioners she was doing so to make a point.
But members of the Unitarian Universalist Church West made a point of their own when they called police on the woman, who was arrested after driving away with the gun on the passenger seat of her vehicle.
According to Brookfield police:
The incident happened during the 9:15 a.m. service at the church, 13001 W. North Ave., when the 41-year-old woman arrived carrying the gun on her hip and kept it there throughout the service.
After the service, parishioners asked the woman why she had brought the gun. She replied, "To make a point."
The woman then placed the gun in a zippered case and put it on the front seat of her vehicle. She started to drive away, but was stopped by officers who had been called by church members.
She was arrested for transporting a loaded weapon.
After this article was published in Brookfield NOW and on BrookfieldNOW.com, the woman called NOW and said she never said the quote attributed to her in the police report. She declined to comment further.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield plan commission approves Capitol West Plaza rezoning request
- Fairview South addresses low enrollment, parents fear school closure
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Oct. 15
- Waukesha County looking for resident feedback on emergency plan (1)
- St. Mary's Visitation Parish to host relics of St. Maria Goretti, the Patroness of Mercy
- Brookfield mosque, Jewish congregation forge a friendship (3)
- Car repair center's planned move-in has condo owners concerned about noise (1)
- Discount brand name store Ross Dress for Less to open in Brookfield Saturday (2)
- Television personality Giuliana Rancic making appearance in Brookfield
- Chicago restaurant Portillo's to bring first Wisconsin location to Brookfield