Tenacity is paying off at Mary Knoll Park, thanks to the volunteers at our sixth annual and past garlic mustard weed-outs. Each year we have reduced garlic mustard in parts of the park we worked in the past and then added new areas. We're keenly aware that each volunteer could have been doing something else but was generous enough to give a few hours to the park. We hope you had a good time and enjoyed the wildflowers in bloom.
Sincerest thanks to each individual volunteer, the Brookfield Central Key Club, Boy Scout Troops 23 and 55, Cub Scout Pack 23, Girl Scout Troop 2139, Daisy Scout Troops 2300 and 4537, and the Wild Ones Native Plant Landscaping Club members. Thanks to Gary Majeskie and the city of Brookfield's Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department plus Alderpersons Lisa Mellone and Renee Lowerr for their support, participation and continued efforts to educate residents about garlic mustard and our weed-out. Thanks to our local Panera and Starbucks restaurants and Pick 'n Save for so generously providing delicious refreshments. In addition to pulling garlic mustard, volunteers removed broken glass and garbage, and Boy Scouts removed invasive buckthorn and honeysuckle brush. We especially want to thank those volunteers who have helped for multiple years and hope you are encouraged by the improvement you see. Continued vigilance is necessary to maintain the gains we've made.
Our work has just begun. If you want to keep helping, spend some time in May and June removing garlic mustard from your yard, help a neighbor remove it, grab a bag and enjoy a walk in a park (while pulling garlic mustard), and/or educate a few friends and neighbors. We hope to see you at the weed-out in May 2011.
Patty Gerner and family
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Library Friends continue support efforts
- Senior Meals: Sept. 3
- Kinseth Hospitality to break ground on new hotel in town of Brookfield (1)
- Brookfield Hobby Lobby store set for grand opening (1)
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Sept. 3
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Aug. 27
- Brookfield couple's theater company keeps growing
- Brookfield police suspect wallet theft part of organized crime ring
- Elm Grove trustees endorse path as priority
- Elmbrook School District's ACT results reach all-time high (4)