James F. Flanagan, a 22-year-old Milwaukee man, was killed in a car crash on Pilgrim Road on Thursday night.
According to a news release from the Elm Grove Police Department:
Flanagan and his passenger, Christopher J. Weber, 24, of Elm Grove, were traveling north on Pilgrim Parkway about 10:30 p.m.
An officer stationed in the 800 block of Pilgrim Parkway clocked the car travelling faster than 60 mph. The speed limit in the area is 30 mph.
The officer attempted to catch up with the vehicle to make a traffic stop, but the vehicle continue to accelerate, and the officer was not able to make a stop.
On Pilgrim Road north of Gebhardt Road, the officer saw the vehicle pass a slower northbound car and begin to lose control. The car then struck a mailbox, a culvert and several trees before coming to a stop outside a home in the 1800 block of Pilgrim Road.
Elm Grove and city of Brookfield Fire Departments arrived to extricate Flanagan and Weber, who were trapped in the vehicle.
Weber was taken to Froedtert Hospital; his condition is unknown.
Flanagan was pronounced dead at the scene at 11:13 p.m. An autopsy will take place today at the Waukesha County Medical Examiner's Office.
The crash is under investigation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Week of Feb. 15
- Elm Grove releases surveillance photos of TCF Bank robbery suspects (5)
- Elmbrook School Board takes a look at crowding at Swanson school (17)
- Brookfield/Elm Grove News IQ: Feb. 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Feb. 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Feb. 4
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development? (5)
- Brookfield man charged with shooting neighbors arrested again for assaulting hotel manager (3)
- Town of Brookfield man faces possible prison time in domestic violence case