Garlic mustard at Mary Knoll Park is definitely under control thanks to motivated volunteers at our fifth annual and past weed-outs. We're keenly aware that each volunteer could have been doing something else, but was generous enough to give a few hours of their time to make a real difference for the park. We hope you also had a good time.
Sincerest thanks to each individual volunteer, the Brookfield Central Key Club, Boy Scout troops 23 and 55, Cub Scout packs 23 and 55, Girl Scout troops 2125 and 2057, Daisy Scout Troop 2300, Wisconsin Hills Middle School Green Team and Brookfield Central's AP Environmental students.
Thanks to Gary Majeskie and the city of Brookfield's Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department plus alderwomen Lisa Mellone and Renee Lowerr for your support, participation and continued efforts to educate residents about garlic mustard and our weed-out. In addition to pulling garlic mustard, volunteers removed broken glass and garbage.
We especially want to thank multiple-year volunteers and hope you are encouraged by the improvement you see. Continued vigilance is what's necessary to maintain the impressive gains we have made and to keep garlic mustard from spreading again.
If you want to keep helping, spend some time in May and June removing garlic mustard from your yard, help a neighbor remove it, grab a bag and enjoy a walk in a park and/or natural area (while pulling garlic mustard), and/or educate a few friends and neighbors.
Finally, we hope to see you and others who care about Mary Knoll Park at the next weed-out in early May 2010. Our work is far from done.
The Gerner family
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: Dec. 3
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Dec. 3
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Holiday Happenings 2015
- Swanson Elementary Cub Scouts to collect donations for seventh annual Ben Levie Toy Drive
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Nov. Dec. 7
- Brookfield panel recommends approval of public assistance for Milwaukee Tool expansion (1)
- Brookfield East welcomes 'The Music Man' into winter theater production
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: Nov. 19
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Nov. 26
- Fairview South's annual Silent Auction and Craft Fair to raise funds for school iPads