Oertel replaces Curt Mould, who accepted another position, in the Sun Prairie School District — a job that is a more feasible commute to his home, said Dana Monogue, assistant superintendent for Teaching and Learning.
The director of Secondary Instruction "was a very competitive position and we're very privileged to have Ryan on board with Elmbrook," Monogue said. "Ryan has a track record as an innovative leader in secondary instruction and is a very optimistic and collaborative educator."
Oertel, who served as Muskego High's principal for the past two years, served as principal of Lake Denoon Middle School in the Muskego-Norway School District from 2006 to 2012. Before his roles as principal, Oertel was an associate principal at the Muskego High School from 2002 to 2006 and a social studies teacher in Waukesha North High School from 1998 to 2002.
Oertel began his role as Elmbrook's Director of Secondary Instruction on August 6.
Transitioning from principal to a curriculum coordinator "is quite the change," Oertel said. "One might think, however, serving as a principal required me to serve as a learning leader first and foremost and that is what this new position requires of me as well.
"I'm excited by teachers purposefully, strategically deploying best instructional and assessment practices to positively impact student learning and achievement," Oertel added. "I am also humbled by, and grateful for, the many opportunities that I will be afforded to help lead efforts that will impact student learning across our middle and high schools."
Oertel isn't the only new addition to the Elmbrook School District. Christian Pleister was announced as the new principal of Burleigh Elementary School earlier this summer.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police pursuing suspect in shots fired incident
- What to expect as Wauwautosa YMCA changes hands
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- The Corridor project in Brookfield criticized for height, density and its name
- Weekly Planner: Oct. 23
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Oct. 23
- Brookfield Library celebrates fall
- City recognized for financial reporting
- Brookfield church organizes packing event to send 96,000 meals to Ebola patients in Liberia
- Elm Grove man takes reins of Wisconsin Philharmonic