A 33-year-old Milwaukee man is dead after a one-vehicle accident early Tuesday morning on I-94 in Brookfield.
The Waukesha County Sheriff's Department and the City of Brookfield Police and Fire departments responded at 1:15 a.m. to a report of a vehicle rollover on I-94 westbound east of N. Moorland Road.
The vehicle was found on its side in the north ditch line. Its two occupants were located outside the vehicle with the driver appearing to have been ejected. He was transported to Froedtert Hospital by Flight for Life and later succumbed to his injuries. He was pronounced dead approximately two hours later.
The vehicle's passenger, a 31-year-old Milwaukee man, was transported by ambulance to Elmbrook Memorial Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Waukesha County Sheriff's Department Deputy Jennifer Wallschlaeger says investigations into the crash are ongoing, but that the department does have a hypothesis.
"We believe (the cause) was speed and alcohol," Wallschlaeger said.
Initial investigations indicate that the vehicle was traveling westbound on I-94 in the left lane before the driver lost control, crossed all lanes of traffic, and left the roadway.
The incident remains under investigation and Wallschlaeger says a coroner's report will determine the role of alcohol. The report can be expected back in 2 to 6 weeks.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elmbrook student, teacher named 2015 Herb Kohl Excellence Scholarship and Fellowship recipients
- Learning Rx: Brookfield East students compete in Moody's Mega Math Challenge and win honorable menti
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: April 16
- Brookfield looks to put finishing touches on 124th Street Commerce District
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: April 16
- Brookfield East seniors earn recognition in national mathematical modeling competition
- Ask Now: Why isn't the city on Facebook?
- Brookfield feels sting of tax fraud (2)
- Elmbrook Area In Our Schools; April 16