A 33-year-old Milwaukee man is dead after a one-vehicle accident early Tuesday morning on I-94 in Brookfield.
The Waukesha County Sheriff's Department and the City of Brookfield Police and Fire departments responded at 1:15 a.m. to a report of a vehicle rollover on I-94 westbound east of N. Moorland Road.
The vehicle was found on its side in the north ditch line. Its two occupants were located outside the vehicle with the driver appearing to have been ejected. He was transported to Froedtert Hospital by Flight for Life and later succumbed to his injuries. He was pronounced dead approximately two hours later.
The vehicle's passenger, a 31-year-old Milwaukee man, was transported by ambulance to Elmbrook Memorial Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Waukesha County Sheriff's Department Deputy Jennifer Wallschlaeger says investigations into the crash are ongoing, but that the department does have a hypothesis.
"We believe (the cause) was speed and alcohol," Wallschlaeger said.
Initial investigations indicate that the vehicle was traveling westbound on I-94 in the left lane before the driver lost control, crossed all lanes of traffic, and left the roadway.
The incident remains under investigation and Wallschlaeger says a coroner's report will determine the role of alcohol. The report can be expected back in 2 to 6 weeks.
- Video: STEM Shuttle lands at St. Mary's in Elm Grove
- Green Bay Packers' Mason Crosby to visit Brookfield Square in support of breast cancer research
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: April 28
- City of Brookfield on fast pace toward reaching consultant's apartment projection (14)
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Week of May 2
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Elm Grove to establish citizen committee for Reinder's redevelopment proposal
- Two Brookfield Lutheran churches join together to form combined congregation (6)
- Brookfield-Elm Grove In Our Schools: April 28
- Business Spotlight: When things aren't working right, hormone therapy may be called for