A 33-year-old Milwaukee man is dead after a one-vehicle accident early Tuesday morning on I-94 in Brookfield.
The Waukesha County Sheriff's Department and the City of Brookfield Police and Fire departments responded at 1:15 a.m. to a report of a vehicle rollover on I-94 westbound east of N. Moorland Road.
The vehicle was found on its side in the north ditch line. Its two occupants were located outside the vehicle with the driver appearing to have been ejected. He was transported to Froedtert Hospital by Flight for Life and later succumbed to his injuries. He was pronounced dead approximately two hours later.
The vehicle's passenger, a 31-year-old Milwaukee man, was transported by ambulance to Elmbrook Memorial Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Waukesha County Sheriff's Department Deputy Jennifer Wallschlaeger says investigations into the crash are ongoing, but that the department does have a hypothesis.
"We believe (the cause) was speed and alcohol," Wallschlaeger said.
Initial investigations indicate that the vehicle was traveling westbound on I-94 in the left lane before the driver lost control, crossed all lanes of traffic, and left the roadway.
The incident remains under investigation and Wallschlaeger says a coroner's report will determine the role of alcohol. The report can be expected back in 2 to 6 weeks.
- Brookfield gears up for July 4 events
- Elmbrook names Sobocinski as new assistant superintendent for business services
- Brookfield Central student charged for bomb scare
- New Starbucks to anchor retail building at Sendik's Towne Centre in Brookfield (1)
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: June 23
- Brookfield aldermen OK Artisan apartments, public funding (8)
- Brookfield council reaffirms committee's denial of TIF referendum referral (2)
- Trainer allegedly sexually assaulted client at town of Brookfield fitness center
- Ask Now: City's rummage sale rules?
- In brief: RR crossing closed (9)