A 33-year-old Milwaukee man was accused of his fourth impaired driving offense Sunday, June 15, in the city of Brookfield.
Troy Leisten was charged Monday, June 16, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with operating a vehicle while intoxicated and driving with a revoked license. He faces up to seven years in prison and $12,500 in fines if convicted.
Leisten has three prior OWI convictions dating back to July, 2005.
According to the criminal complaint, Brookfield police initiated a traffic stop on Leisten after witnessing his car drift between lanes and nearly collide with another vehicle.
The officers noted Leisten smelled strongly of intoxicants and described his speech as "slurred" and his eyes as "glassy and bloodshot."
Police allegedly asked Leisten four times to perform some field sobriety tests, but he refused.
"I told you, I'm not going to exit (my vehicle)," Leisten said in the complaint.
The officers then arrested Leisten and searched his car, finding what appeared to be marijuana and a hash pipe alongside a container of alcohol.
According to court records, Leisten posted his $2,000 cash bond on conditions that he maintains absolute sobriety, reports to a state-sponsored drunk-driving program and refrains from operating any vehicle without a proper license.
His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Friday, July 18.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Town commission recommends approval for pair of Poplar Creek requests
- Elm Grove woman wins local entrepreneur challenge
- Ask Now: What is going on with the Capitol Drive water tower?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: July 30
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: July 30
- Brookfield market celebrates 25 years
- Hiking at Philmont teaches lifelong lessons to scouts from Brookfield school
- Brookfield and Elm Grove things to do: week of July 30
- City of Brookfield to host 17th National Night Out
- Brookfield man charged after alleged stabbing