The cities of Brookfield and New Berlin are being sued for an unspecified amount of damages in the drowning death of an 8-year-old girl in 2012 at Wirth Pool.
Michael and Julieann Engelhardt have named both municipalities, and their insurers, as being liable for injuries and damages connected to their daughter Lily Engelhardt's death at the pool now known as Wiberg Aquatic Center, according to a lawsuit filed in Waukesha County Circuit Court.
On July 3, 2012, Lily Engelhardt was on a field trip to the pool as part of the New Berlin Parks and Recreation Department's Day Camp Program. Engelhardt fell unconscious and was discovered underwater. Engelhardt died on July 11, 2012, as a result of her injuries and her death was ruled a drowning.
The complaint, states that both the staffs of the Day Camp Program and the aquatic center, which is operated by the City of Brookfield, were not properly trained and failed to both notice her distress and enter the pool and perform any water rescue procedures in a timely manner, according to the civil suit filed May 23.
A spokesperson for the City of Brookfield said Tuesday the city had not yet been served papers. New Berlin officials were unable to be reached by press time.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- County planning work on Brookfield intersection
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Gotta Have Heart fundraiser, healthy grocery shopping and more
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Creating interesting experiences is a risky business, and the Wilson
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: April 23
- Things to do in Brookfield and Elm Grove: April 23
- Elmbrook student, teacher named 2015 Herb Kohl Excellence Scholarship and Fellowship recipients
- Learning Rx: Brookfield East students compete in Moody's Mega Math Challenge and win honorable menti
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: April 16
- Brookfield looks to put finishing touches on 124th Street Commerce District (1)
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: April 16