Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Geoff Bruce answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Can cars go over grass in order to pass on the right?
Question: Two weeks ago, a reader asked for clarification on what is allowed when he is behind a left-turning car that has stopped to wait for oncoming traffic. The response was that it is OK for drivers to cross into the shoulder or bike lane in order to go around a left-turning vehicle.
Kenneth Kern would like to know if cars are allowed to physically go off of the road in order to complete this maneuver. Kern expressed concern particularly with Gebhardt Road, where he has seen drivers leaving the pavement and going over grassy areas in order to pass.
Response: The answer is no.
Brookfield Police Captain Jim Adlam says that cars are not allowed to physically go off of the road while passing on the right.
Adlam noted that going onto the gravel that may line the side of a street is allowable, as it is considered part of the roadway; however, any further can result in a traffic citation.
"If they're going onto the grass, it's not allowed," Adlam said.
Email your question to Geoff Bruce at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market?
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development?
- Ask Now: Do police keep those who live near crime scenes more informed?
- Ask Now: Are there any special rules for owners of pit bulls?
- Ask Now: Can you move snow into the street in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: How much are TIFs costing the city?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What will be done about the Elm Grove railroad crossing?
- Brookfield Ask Now: What are the plow drivers up to?
- Ask Now: How is Elm Grove's future park plan coming along?
- Ask Now: Why is fiber optic cable being installed in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: A railroad crossing on Calhoun Road makes for a rough ride. Are changes planned?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Library staff reorganization promotes flexibility
- Ask Now: When will the TIF referendum topic be discussed?
- Ask Now: Why are Christmas trees allowed in public spaces?
- Ask Now: What is MSO?
- Ask Now: Can you burn leaves in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Why are Brookfield utility bills going to West Allis?
- Ask Now: Wisconsin Ave. extension still in the works?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Why are lanes closed on Bluemound Road?
- Ask Now: Do park hours change with the seasons?