Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Geoff Bruce answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Can cars go over grass in order to pass on the right?
Question: Two weeks ago, a reader asked for clarification on what is allowed when he is behind a left-turning car that has stopped to wait for oncoming traffic. The response was that it is OK for drivers to cross into the shoulder or bike lane in order to go around a left-turning vehicle.
Kenneth Kern would like to know if cars are allowed to physically go off of the road in order to complete this maneuver. Kern expressed concern particularly with Gebhardt Road, where he has seen drivers leaving the pavement and going over grassy areas in order to pass.
Response: The answer is no.
Brookfield Police Captain Jim Adlam says that cars are not allowed to physically go off of the road while passing on the right.
Adlam noted that going onto the gravel that may line the side of a street is allowable, as it is considered part of the roadway; however, any further can result in a traffic citation.
"If they're going onto the grass, it's not allowed," Adlam said.
Email your question to Geoff Bruce at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brookfield Ask Now: How does the city attack garlic mustard weed?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: How can a young person help out at the humane society?
- Ask Now: Will there be a lighting test at Golf Parkway?
- Ask Now: How are city committee members assigned?
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What makes a left turn arrow appropriate?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Any thoughts of turkey population control?
- Ask Now: Why can trains blow horns in Brookfield?
- Brookfield Ask Now: When will Calhoun Road be improved?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market?
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development?
- Ask Now: Do police keep those who live near crime scenes more informed?
- Ask Now: Are there any special rules for owners of pit bulls?
- Ask Now: Can you move snow into the street in Brookfield?