Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Geoff Bruce answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Can cars go over grass in order to pass on the right?
Question: Two weeks ago, a reader asked for clarification on what is allowed when he is behind a left-turning car that has stopped to wait for oncoming traffic. The response was that it is OK for drivers to cross into the shoulder or bike lane in order to go around a left-turning vehicle.
Kenneth Kern would like to know if cars are allowed to physically go off of the road in order to complete this maneuver. Kern expressed concern particularly with Gebhardt Road, where he has seen drivers leaving the pavement and going over grassy areas in order to pass.
Response: The answer is no.
Brookfield Police Captain Jim Adlam says that cars are not allowed to physically go off of the road while passing on the right.
Adlam noted that going onto the gravel that may line the side of a street is allowable, as it is considered part of the roadway; however, any further can result in a traffic citation.
"If they're going onto the grass, it's not allowed," Adlam said.
Email your question to Geoff Bruce at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Burger King in the Town of Brookfield?
- Brookfield AskNOW for June 26: Where are the jobs?
- Ask NOW: Which side is the rich side of town?
- Ask NOW: How many elm trees does the Village of Elm Grove actually have?
- Ask NOW: Where did the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts get its name?
- Ask NOW: Should people take more care with their lawn care?
- Ask NOW: Reader wonders if bicyclists should use pathways
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident wonders when he is allowed to pass on the right
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident worried about pedestrians at Kinsey Park