As the weather warms up, children in the town of Brookfield will have a chance to dust off their fishing equipment and head to Brook Park to enjoy another edition of the Carp O'Rama Fishing Derby.
The event is open to children ages 4 to 12 and tests the young anglers' ability to catch the biggest fish. It will be held Saturday, May 31, from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m.
"We've been doing this for over 20 years," town of Brookfield Parks and Recreation Director Chad Brown said. "It's just a fun fishing event."
Carp O'Rama is open only to town of Brookfield children. Brown said the event remains relatively popular, although attendance has decreased in recent years.
"Numbers are down from the past, but we still usually get around two dozen (entrants)," he said.
Children are divided into age groups and by gender.
"We have prizes for the biggest fish, with prizes for each age group and for boys and girls," Brown said. "(Prizes) depend on the year, but usually it's fishing equipment."
Adults are not required to attend and supervise their children, although Brown recommends it, especially with younger anglers. Brown noted that the pond in Brook Park is rather shallow.
"Brook Park is surprisingly active with fishermen. People seem to be there quite a bit and, of course, with the Fox River, there seems to definitely be plenty of interest in fishing in the area," Brown said.
Carp O'Rama competitors must bring their own fishing equipment and advance registration is mandatory. The deadline to register is Thursday, May 29.
The event is in need of adult volunteers to assist throughout the morning.
If you go
WHAT: town of Brookfield Carp O'Rama Fishing Derby
WHERE: Brook Park, west of Barker Road off Brook Park Drive
WHEN: 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. May 31
REGISTER: by May 29 by calling (262) 796-3781 or sending an email to email@example.com
- Elm Grove to rule on new parks plan tonight
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: May 26
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Week of May 30
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: May 26
- Sports Authority to close Brookfield store, all stores nationwide
- Best Summer Ever: Five great summer reads
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Brookfield committee directs police department to begin prescription drug drop box program
- Brookfield committee to discuss prescription drug drop boxes in the city
- Brookfield committee discusses TIF referendum option, no action taken