Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Reader wants to pass left-turning cars on Burleigh
Question: A reader asked for clarification on what is allowed when he is behind a left-turning car that has stopped to wait for oncoming traffic. He said cars often stop to turn left in the middle of Burleigh Road between Pilgrim Road and 124th Street, where there is only one lane in each direction. He asked: "When a car is making a left-hand turn and waiting for oncoming traffic, is it legal to cross the white line and drive on the shoulder of the road to get around the car?"
Response: The answer is yes.
Brookfield Police Captain Jim Adlam said cars are allowed to cross over solid white lines and bike lanes anywhere in the city, in order to pass left-turning cars on the right. There's just one important caveat: the area must be clear.
Adlam said drivers must check for bikers and other traffic on the right before crossing over the lines.
"But if there's nothing there, and they can do it safely, it's allowed," Adlam said.
This goes for cars turning left at intersections, as well as cars turning into driveways and parking lots mid-block.
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What are Brookfield's policies for abandoned houses?
- Ask Now: What is an arterial road?
- Ask Now: Is Brookfield's population really that old?
- Ask Now: Any plans for Brookfield's former Venice Club?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why are dogs required to be licensed?
- Ask Now: How much is public service worth in the city of Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is there wifi at Brookfield city hall?
- Ask Now: Too much goose use of Fox Brook Park?
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?
- Ask Now: Does Elmbrook Humane Society leave animals outside?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Ask Now: Wireless dead zones, what is to be done?
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?