The Venice Club's last day of business will be Friday, May 9, manager Casper Balistreri said today from Atlanta, after trying to negotiate with a division of PNC Bank that owns the mortgage on the restaurant.
"We've been in business since 1947," Balistreri said. "That's 67 years, and we've been in Brookfield for 31 years. We've been a part of that community for all those years and had wonderful customers, and we want to thank all of them for being our friends and customers."
The owner of the Venice Club, Balistreri's sister Antoinette Balistreri Radler, died in January, leaving the fate of the restaurant uncertain. Balistreri said Radler had a mortgage with Legacy Bank in Milwaukee, but the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation bought that loan about 2008 when the market went downhill. Casper said PNC bank then bought the loan on the Venice Club in a bundle of other loans. He said the bank now plans to auction that off.
The Venice Club didn't go down without a fight. Balistreri and his wife, Sara Balistreri, continued managing the restaurant after Radler's passing, along with a team of longtime managers and employees. They hoped to buy the the restaurant back, but were unable to meet the asking price.
Casper said he and his wife will be sad to leave the restaurant but will always remember their time there.
"One of our slogans was the Venice Club is the soul of Italy and the heart of Brookfield," Casper said. "And my wife said that's how she wants everyone to remember the Venice Club."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: March 26
- Brookfield may alter zoning to make city more welcoming to health clubs
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: March 19
- Elm Grove establishes committee to explore fiber internet
- Elm Grove church irks residents with cell tower proposal
- Marcus looking into exiting Corners project
- Brookfield man charged with knife attack on mother, sister
- Brookfield girl may have been locked in basement by parents
- Brookfield's St. John Vianney School presents 'Shrek the Musical'
- In Our Schools: March 26, 2015