A semiautomatic handgun loaded with a full magazine, with the safety in the fire position, was found in a bathroom at Elmbrook Church about noon March 19.
According to the town of Brookfield police report:
The handgun was found on top of a feminine disposal can in a bathroom at Elmbrook Church, 777 S. Barker Road, about noon March 19.
During that time, the "Beyond the Books" program was running for parents and their home-schooled kids from first to fifth grade who had access to the bathroom.
A volunteer teacher at the church later called looking for her weapon, which she said she had set down in the bathroom and accidentally left behind. She told police she is normally very careful and was told she could recover the gun the next day.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- High court sides with railroad in Elm Grove collision
- North Avenue widening plans rankle residents
- In brief: July 24
- Protecting your vehicles and valuables
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: July 24
- More apartments inevitable in Brookfield
- Summer camp takes edge off education at St. John Vianney
- Local couple looks to re-energize fitness center