Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
What does the city have planned for Calhoun Road?
Question: A reader wonders what the city plans for improvements to the intersection of Calhoun and Burleigh roads. "It was bad before this winter, but now it is worse."
Answer: Former plans to widen Calhoun Road have been put on hold due to a lack of federal funds, but some repairs could happen this spring.
Director of Public Works Tom Grisa said the city had hoped to widen Calhoun Road from North Avenue to Capitol Drive to four lanes, but cannot move forward without federal money.
A grant application was denied in the fall of 2013, forcing the city to wait until the next four-year grant cycle to apply again. If its application is accepted in the next cycle, it could attain federal funding — typically about 80 percent of the project cost — in 2018, Grisa said.
In the meantime, the city could make some repairs to the road after the ground thaws. Because of the especially harsh winter, Grisa said, the city plans to assess pavement conditions in spring and repair the worst potholes and ruts (grooves caused by wear from tires).
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?
- Ask Now: Is Big Brother watching you?
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: The weeds are back — who is responsible?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Burger King in the Town of Brookfield?
- Brookfield AskNOW for June 26: Where are the jobs?
- Ask NOW: Which side is the rich side of town?