Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
What does the city have planned for Calhoun Road?
Question: A reader wonders what the city plans for improvements to the intersection of Calhoun and Burleigh roads. "It was bad before this winter, but now it is worse."
Answer: Former plans to widen Calhoun Road have been put on hold due to a lack of federal funds, but some repairs could happen this spring.
Director of Public Works Tom Grisa said the city had hoped to widen Calhoun Road from North Avenue to Capitol Drive to four lanes, but cannot move forward without federal money.
A grant application was denied in the fall of 2013, forcing the city to wait until the next four-year grant cycle to apply again. If its application is accepted in the next cycle, it could attain federal funding — typically about 80 percent of the project cost — in 2018, Grisa said.
In the meantime, the city could make some repairs to the road after the ground thaws. Because of the especially harsh winter, Grisa said, the city plans to assess pavement conditions in spring and repair the worst potholes and ruts (grooves caused by wear from tires).
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market?
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development?
- Ask Now: Do police keep those who live near crime scenes more informed?
- Ask Now: Are there any special rules for owners of pit bulls?
- Ask Now: Can you move snow into the street in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: How much are TIFs costing the city?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What will be done about the Elm Grove railroad crossing?
- Brookfield Ask Now: What are the plow drivers up to?
- Ask Now: How is Elm Grove's future park plan coming along?
- Ask Now: Why is fiber optic cable being installed in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: A railroad crossing on Calhoun Road makes for a rough ride. Are changes planned?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Library staff reorganization promotes flexibility
- Ask Now: When will the TIF referendum topic be discussed?
- Ask Now: Why are Christmas trees allowed in public spaces?
- Ask Now: What is MSO?
- Ask Now: Can you burn leaves in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Why are Brookfield utility bills going to West Allis?
- Ask Now: Wisconsin Ave. extension still in the works?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Why are lanes closed on Bluemound Road?
- Ask Now: Do park hours change with the seasons?