Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
What does the city have planned for Calhoun Road?
Question: A reader wonders what the city plans for improvements to the intersection of Calhoun and Burleigh roads. "It was bad before this winter, but now it is worse."
Answer: Former plans to widen Calhoun Road have been put on hold due to a lack of federal funds, but some repairs could happen this spring.
Director of Public Works Tom Grisa said the city had hoped to widen Calhoun Road from North Avenue to Capitol Drive to four lanes, but cannot move forward without federal money.
A grant application was denied in the fall of 2013, forcing the city to wait until the next four-year grant cycle to apply again. If its application is accepted in the next cycle, it could attain federal funding — typically about 80 percent of the project cost — in 2018, Grisa said.
In the meantime, the city could make some repairs to the road after the ground thaws. Because of the especially harsh winter, Grisa said, the city plans to assess pavement conditions in spring and repair the worst potholes and ruts (grooves caused by wear from tires).
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What is going on with the Capitol Drive water tower?
- Ask Now: Does the city police department collect prescription drugs?
- Ask Now: Who reviews city architecture?
- Ask Now: Who guards the lifeguards from the sun?
- Ask Now: Fewer meetings? Same pay?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Overnight parking on the street?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why has electronic recycling stopped?
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Stars and Stripes in a frame?
- Ask Now: Too many intersections in close proximity?
- Ask Now: How does one get appointed to a Brookfield committee?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Can ATVs be ridden in public right of way?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Has the mayor always broken ties?
- Ask Now: Why the bends in Pilgrim Road?
- Ask Now: Why isn't the city on Facebook?
- Ask Now: Why is work being done at the Quarry?
- Ask Now: How big are Brookfield's hills?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?
- Ask Now: What are Brookfield's policies for abandoned houses?
- Ask Now: What is an arterial road?