Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
What does the city have planned for Calhoun Road?
Question: A reader wonders what the city plans for improvements to the intersection of Calhoun and Burleigh roads. "It was bad before this winter, but now it is worse."
Answer: Former plans to widen Calhoun Road have been put on hold due to a lack of federal funds, but some repairs could happen this spring.
Director of Public Works Tom Grisa said the city had hoped to widen Calhoun Road from North Avenue to Capitol Drive to four lanes, but cannot move forward without federal money.
A grant application was denied in the fall of 2013, forcing the city to wait until the next four-year grant cycle to apply again. If its application is accepted in the next cycle, it could attain federal funding — typically about 80 percent of the project cost — in 2018, Grisa said.
In the meantime, the city could make some repairs to the road after the ground thaws. Because of the especially harsh winter, Grisa said, the city plans to assess pavement conditions in spring and repair the worst potholes and ruts (grooves caused by wear from tires).
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at email@example.com.
- Ask Now: How are city committee members assigned?
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What makes a left turn arrow appropriate?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Any thoughts of turkey population control?
- Ask Now: Why can trains blow horns in Brookfield?
- Brookfield Ask Now: When will Calhoun Road be improved?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market?
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development?
- Ask Now: Do police keep those who live near crime scenes more informed?
- Ask Now: Are there any special rules for owners of pit bulls?
- Ask Now: Can you move snow into the street in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: How much are TIFs costing the city?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What will be done about the Elm Grove railroad crossing?
- Brookfield Ask Now: What are the plow drivers up to?