Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Goerkes Corners park-and-ride was once site of popular inn
Question: Who is Goerke of Goerke's Corners?
Answer: The story of Goerke goes back to the 1800s. After John Patten Story built a sawmill on Poplar Creek about 1840, a small community developed, numbering 95 people by 1868 and taking on the name Storyville, according to the Elmbrook Historical Society.
Ten years later, Frederick Goerke broke ground at Bluemound and Barker roads and built a combination home, saloon and hotel. According to the Elmbrook Historical Society, the spot became the "community social center." Goerke became the town's postmaster and the town was then named in his honor, Goerke's Corners.
Now the name lives on in the park-and-ride lot that provides free parking for more than 300 vehicles and bikes, as well as a stop for several bus lines.
Email Rory Linnane with your question at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Is Brookfield's population really that old?
- Ask Now: Any plans for Brookfield's former Venice Club?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why are dogs required to be licensed?
- Ask Now: How much is public service worth in the city of Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is there wifi at Brookfield city hall?
- Ask Now: Too much goose use of Fox Brook Park?
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?
- Ask Now: Does Elmbrook Humane Society leave animals outside?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Ask Now: Wireless dead zones, what is to be done?
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?