Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Goerkes Corners park-and-ride was once site of popular inn
Question: Who is Goerke of Goerke's Corners?
Answer: The story of Goerke goes back to the 1800s. After John Patten Story built a sawmill on Poplar Creek about 1840, a small community developed, numbering 95 people by 1868 and taking on the name Storyville, according to the Elmbrook Historical Society.
Ten years later, Frederick Goerke broke ground at Bluemound and Barker roads and built a combination home, saloon and hotel. According to the Elmbrook Historical Society, the spot became the "community social center." Goerke became the town's postmaster and the town was then named in his honor, Goerke's Corners.
Now the name lives on in the park-and-ride lot that provides free parking for more than 300 vehicles and bikes, as well as a stop for several bus lines.
Email Rory Linnane with your question at email@example.com.
- Brookfield Ask Now: Will the pathway on Pilgrim be paved?
- Ask Now: City's rummage sale rules?
- Ask Now: What ever happened to all the changes for Capitol Drive?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will BEGIN host more programs?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Does Mayor Steve Ponto want to run for higher office?
- Brookfield Ask Now: How does the city attack garlic mustard weed?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: How can a young person help out at the humane society?
- Ask Now: Will there be a lighting test at Golf Parkway?
- Ask Now: How are city committee members assigned?
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What makes a left turn arrow appropriate?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Any thoughts of turkey population control?
- Ask Now: Why can trains blow horns in Brookfield?
- Brookfield Ask Now: When will Calhoun Road be improved?