Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Goerkes Corners park-and-ride was once site of popular inn
Question: Who is Goerke of Goerke's Corners?
Answer: The story of Goerke goes back to the 1800s. After John Patten Story built a sawmill on Poplar Creek about 1840, a small community developed, numbering 95 people by 1868 and taking on the name Storyville, according to the Elmbrook Historical Society.
Ten years later, Frederick Goerke broke ground at Bluemound and Barker roads and built a combination home, saloon and hotel. According to the Elmbrook Historical Society, the spot became the "community social center." Goerke became the town's postmaster and the town was then named in his honor, Goerke's Corners.
Now the name lives on in the park-and-ride lot that provides free parking for more than 300 vehicles and bikes, as well as a stop for several bus lines.
Email Rory Linnane with your question at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: How does one get appointed to a Brookfield committee?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Can ATVs be ridden in public right of way?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Has the mayor always broken ties?
- Ask Now: Why the bends in Pilgrim Road?
- Ask Now: Why isn't the city on Facebook?
- Ask Now: Why is work being done at the Quarry?
- Ask Now: How big are Brookfield's hills?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?
- Ask Now: What are Brookfield's policies for abandoned houses?
- Ask Now: What is an arterial road?
- Ask Now: Is Brookfield's population really that old?
- Ask Now: Any plans for Brookfield's former Venice Club?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why are dogs required to be licensed?
- Ask Now: How much is public service worth in the city of Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is there wifi at Brookfield city hall?
- Ask Now: Too much goose use of Fox Brook Park?
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?