Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Goerkes Corners park-and-ride was once site of popular inn
Question: Who is Goerke of Goerke's Corners?
Answer: The story of Goerke goes back to the 1800s. After John Patten Story built a sawmill on Poplar Creek about 1840, a small community developed, numbering 95 people by 1868 and taking on the name Storyville, according to the Elmbrook Historical Society.
Ten years later, Frederick Goerke broke ground at Bluemound and Barker roads and built a combination home, saloon and hotel. According to the Elmbrook Historical Society, the spot became the "community social center." Goerke became the town's postmaster and the town was then named in his honor, Goerke's Corners.
Now the name lives on in the park-and-ride lot that provides free parking for more than 300 vehicles and bikes, as well as a stop for several bus lines.
Email Rory Linnane with your question at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?
- Ask Now: Is Big Brother watching you?
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: The weeds are back — who is responsible?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Burger King in the Town of Brookfield?
- Brookfield AskNOW for June 26: Where are the jobs?
- Ask NOW: Which side is the rich side of town?
- Ask NOW: How many elm trees does the Village of Elm Grove actually have?