Mayor Steve Ponto's recently published column regarding plans for the Sileno property ended with the following: "Our concern is first and foremost for the long-run best interests of this premier community and doing what we can to lessen the burden on area residents."
The fundamental flaw of this position is clear. The long-run best interests of Brookfield are fostered only by protecting and enhancing the quality of life of the residents of our community and fighting off all attempts to do damage to that principle.
B.R.A.D. (Brookfield Residents Against the Dump) is doing its best, with zero help from our mayor, to prevent 180,000 dump truck trips running through our neighborhood with five years of daily disruption of our lives.
We have two questions for Mayor Ponto:
1. Why, more than seven weeks after the Brookfield Central public hearing during which more than 500 residents opposed the mayor's plan and were told, a compromise agreement with the contractor was in the final stage of preparations, have we not even seen the proposed agreement? Not only do Brookfield residents have a right to see the agreement, they must have an opportunity to be heard on what they think of the agreement.
2. If and when the proposed agreement is finally ready for public inspection, will you put it on a Plan Commission meeting agenda, so interested Brookfield residents can tell you and other city officials what they think about it?
We await your responses, mayor.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Corners gets approval, town funding
- Brookfield likely to renew contract to attract visitors
- Tax case, Sileno talks run up city legal fees
- Police Report: Dec. 3
- News & Notes: Dec. 5
- City trails ahead in its Greenway path plans
- Former mayor Jeff Speaker will challenge Steve Ponto in Brookfield
- In Our Schools
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?
- On the Move: Dec. 5