Why are flashing yellow arrows in use, and what do they mean?
Issue: Carole Panaro knows to go on green and stop on red, but it's the flashing yellow arrow that's got her scratching her head.
"I don't know why they have that stupid, yellow-blinking light, it looks like some kind of emergency," she said. "It's irritating, I do a double take and I think something unusual is happening."
Status: Dave Brantner, signal operations engineer for the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, said Panaro and other Brookfield residents should get used to it.
"You're going to see a lot more of it. They're starting to go throughout the state," he said.
Here in Brookfield, the new arrow system is prominently used along Capitol Drive, and was first implemented on the state highway after the extensive resurfacing project. Brantner said it has been used on Bluemound Road for about a year now.
As usual, red means stop. A green arrow means a driver has the right of way to make a left turn. A solid yellow arrow means prepare to stop, while a flashing yellow arrow means a driver may make a left turn if there is no oncoming traffic.
According to the state DOT website, a decade-long national study by the Federal Highway Administration found drivers had fewer crashes when the flashing yellow arrow was in use.
The new signal also provides more options for controlling traffic based on variable traffic volumes since the timing sequence can be made to vary throughout the day, the site states.
So it seems it's time for Panaro and other residents to wean off green, and say hello to yellow.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an e-mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Brookfield Ask Now: How does the city attack garlic mustard weed?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: How can a young person help out at the humane society?
- Ask Now: Will there be a lighting test at Golf Parkway?
- Ask Now: How are city committee members assigned?
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What makes a left turn arrow appropriate?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Any thoughts of turkey population control?
- Ask Now: Why can trains blow horns in Brookfield?
- Brookfield Ask Now: When will Calhoun Road be improved?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market?
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development?
- Ask Now: Do police keep those who live near crime scenes more informed?
- Ask Now: Are there any special rules for owners of pit bulls?
- Ask Now: Can you move snow into the street in Brookfield?