LeRoy Butler helps animal shelter score
Proceeds support only no-kill shelter in the county
Wine and Whiskers, Elmbrook Humane Society's annual fundraiser, included a guest that gave the event an extra kick.
Former Green Bay Packers player LeRoy Butler was this year's emcee, and he helped the only no-kill shelter in Waukesha County raise funds at Saturday's event, held at Westmoor Country Club.
In its sixth year, the event is the largest fundraiser for the shelter, and featured a live and silent auction with items donated by Butler, Donald Driver and Aaron Rodgers; two club level seats to any Brewers game, donated by the Milwaukee Brewers Baseball Club; massage and travel packages; and a home-cooked meal for 25 guests, prepared by Butler and his chef.
Rachel Coolbroth, director community relations and development, said the former safety was a great host.
"He was humorous and very entertaining the entire evening," Coolbroth said.
This year's event had a record turnout of more than 300 people, Coolbroth said.
Among the guests was Kevin Zeitler, former Wisconsin Badgers and current NFL Cincinnati Bengals guard.
"Kevin and his finance, Sara, adopted a dog from EBHS a week prior to the event and they felt inclined to be there and support their shelter," Coolbroth said.
"This event keeps us alive and able to function as a no-kill humane society," Coolbroth said. "All of the proceeds from this event directly benefit the animals at EBHS."
Coolbroth said the shelter has been able to help animals that may not have had a chance at another shelter, including a cat with a broken leg.
"The best option for the cat is to have the leg amputated and that is what we have done," Coolbroth said. "The cost of the amputation, the pain medication and the cat's rehabilitation will be covered with the help of events like Wine and Whiskers."
Last year's event raised more than $40,000 for the shelter.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: As a new business itself, Commerce State Bank can advise other businesses on get
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Aug. 6
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: Aug. 6
- Town of Brookfield's incorporation effort goes down (5)
- Town of Brookfield commission recommends approval for pair of Poplar Creek requests
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: July 30
- 3rd annual Cruisin' the Grove returns to Elm Grove
- Business Notes: July 30
- Town commission recommends approval for pair of Poplar Creek requests
- 'The Naked Baker' wins business contest with all-natural cookie dough