What rules surround snow clearing in the city?
Issue: A reader wants to know whether Brookfield residents are required to shovel their driveways and sidewalks. She also wants to know what the laws are for commercial properties.
Status: Laurie O'Shea, paralegal for the city of Brookfield, told me residents are not required to clear bike paths, sidewalks or driveways. She explained that the Park, Recreation and Forestry Department is responsible for clearing city rights of way. Questions, comments and complaints can be directed to the department at (262) 796-6681.
The Highway Department clears snow from the city's roadways. Snow pushed onto driveways by passing snowplows will not be removed by the city, according to the city website.
Businesses are required to shovel sidewalks on their property, O'Shea added.
Property owners are responsible for shoveling out fire hydrants in front of their property.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: How should residents handle suspicious solicitors?
- Ask NOW: Reader concerned about wooden path on Brookfield Road
- Ask NOW: Reader's question leads to signage change
- Ask NOW: Will Elmbrook Church respond to the gun left in the bathroom?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a stop sign at Main Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Ask NOW: What can residents do about phone scams?
- Ask NOW: Is the emerald ash borer coming to Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: Who were the Ebles and what did they want for their land?
- Ask NOW: Are there plans for improvements at Calhoun and Burleigh roads?
- Ask NOW: What's going on in the old Ethan Allen store?
- Ask NOW: How many dump trucks of dirt will be coming out of the Corners?
- Ask NOW: Does Brookfield pay its interns?
- Ask NOW: What's happening to Applebee's?
- Ask NOW: Will residents soon have to take trash to the curb?
- Ask NOW: Has moving fire station caused delays for responses to Brookfield Square?
- Ask NOW: How can the city get a park on the Sileno property?
- Ask NOW: Does BRAD group have conflict of interest?
- Ask NOW: Who is Goerke?
- Ask NOW: What is required of school buses crossing tracks?
- Ask NOW: When do the street lights go on?