What rules surround snow clearing in the city?
Issue: A reader wants to know whether Brookfield residents are required to shovel their driveways and sidewalks. She also wants to know what the laws are for commercial properties.
Status: Laurie O'Shea, paralegal for the city of Brookfield, told me residents are not required to clear bike paths, sidewalks or driveways. She explained that the Park, Recreation and Forestry Department is responsible for clearing city rights of way. Questions, comments and complaints can be directed to the department at (262) 796-6681.
The Highway Department clears snow from the city's roadways. Snow pushed onto driveways by passing snowplows will not be removed by the city, according to the city website.
Businesses are required to shovel sidewalks on their property, O'Shea added.
Property owners are responsible for shoveling out fire hydrants in front of their property.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Soil samples taken at Pilgrim and Gebhardt in Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why the yellow blinking arrows?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What's up with Fun World?
- Ask Now: Does the city get involved when similar businesses seek to open?
- Ask Now: What is going on with the Capitol Drive water tower?
- Ask Now: Does the city police department collect prescription drugs?
- Ask Now: Who reviews city architecture?
- Ask Now: Who guards the lifeguards from the sun?
- Ask Now: Fewer meetings? Same pay?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Overnight parking on the street?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why has electronic recycling stopped?
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Stars and Stripes in a frame?
- Ask Now: Too many intersections in close proximity?
- Ask Now: How does one get appointed to a Brookfield committee?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Can ATVs be ridden in public right of way?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Has the mayor always broken ties?
- Ask Now: Why the bends in Pilgrim Road?
- Ask Now: Why isn't the city on Facebook?
- Ask Now: Why is work being done at the Quarry?