Reader doesn't like Capitol Drive sidewalks
Issue: A reader wants to know who decided to install sidewalks along Capitol Drive from Brookfield Road to 124th Street. He is concerned the sidewalks are dangerous because they are close to traffic. He also said the sidewalks are not continuous on the north side of the road from Lily Road to 124th Street and wants to know why.
Status: Jeff Chase, city engineer, explained that the sidewalk was a partner project between the state Department of Transportation and the city of Brookfield. The DOT would not have put the sidewalks in on their own, Chase said. The Federal Highway Administration paid 80 percent of the project costs, and the city paid 20 percent, he added.
Chase agreed that portions of the sidewalk are less than ideal for pedestrian comfort because of the proximity to traffic. But, there is nothing inherently dangerous about the walkways and they meet all appropriate design regulations, he added.
"Ideally there would be more room, but in some sections there just was no additional space on the right of way," Chase said. "Admittedly the space between the sidewalk and traffic is less than Brookfield residents are used to; however, it is very common to have limited space between the sidewalk and traffic in more urbanized areas."
Chase said the sidewalk is continuous on the north side from 124th Street to Brookfield Road. The only break in the sidewalk is on the south side of the road by Wisconsin Memorial Park, he said.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Who were the Ebles and what did they want for their land?
- Ask NOW: Are there plans for improvements at Calhoun and Burleigh roads?
- Ask NOW: What's going on in the old Ethan Allen store?
- Ask NOW: How many dump trucks of dirt will be coming out of the Corners?
- Ask NOW: Does Brookfield pay its interns?
- Ask NOW: What's happening to Applebee's?
- Ask NOW: Will residents soon have to take trash to the curb?
- Ask NOW: Has moving fire station caused delays for responses to Brookfield Square?
- Ask NOW: How can the city get a park on the Sileno property?
- Ask NOW: Does BRAD group have conflict of interest?
- Ask NOW: Who is Goerke?
- Ask NOW: What is required of school buses crossing tracks?
- Ask NOW: When do the street lights go on?
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?
- Ask NOW: Are there local families who will use a food pantry this Thanksgiving?
- Ask NOW: Why are there barriers at Brookfield Road and North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will sidewalks on Capitol Drive be cleared of snow this winter?
- Ask NOW: Are little roadside libraries allowed in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: What are costs of maintaining and demolishing Eble Park barn?
- Ask NOW: Who is responsible for cutting the grass along the new sidewalk on Capitol Drive?