Is town of Brookfield still trying to incorporate?
Issue: A reader wants to know if the town of Brookfield is still trying to be reclassified as a different municipality. If so, she wants to know what that municipality would be and whether this would require a name change.
Status: Rick Czopp, town administrator, told me that the town of Brookfield is trying to be classified as a village and has filled out the paperwork with the state.
Villages have a different governing structure than a town, and have more control over their borders and zoning.
He said the next step is for the state to set up a public hearing date. The town will notify residents when the date is set, and the state will hear testimony from anyone who wants to speak at the hearing.
It is too soon to know if the switch would require a name change, Czopp said.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Burger King in the Town of Brookfield?
- Brookfield AskNOW for June 26: Where are the jobs?
- Ask NOW: Which side is the rich side of town?
- Ask NOW: How many elm trees does the Village of Elm Grove actually have?
- Ask NOW: Where did the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts get its name?
- Ask NOW: Should people take more care with their lawn care?
- Ask NOW: Can cars go over grass in order to pass on the right?
- Ask NOW: Reader wonders if bicyclists should use pathways
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident wonders when he is allowed to pass on the right
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident worried about pedestrians at Kinsey Park
- Ask NOW: How should residents handle suspicious solicitors?
- Ask NOW: Reader concerned about wooden path on Brookfield Road
- Ask NOW: Reader's question leads to signage change
- Ask NOW: Will Elmbrook Church respond to the gun left in the bathroom?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a stop sign at Main Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Ask NOW: What can residents do about phone scams?