What's the history of Stagecoach Inn Museum?
Issue: A reader wants to know how the Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum came to be and what the story is behind it.
Status: The Elmbrook Historical Society is an affiliate of the Wisconsin Historical Society and was founded in 1980. The Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum is the society's main project, according to Elmbrook Historical Society's website.
The website describes the inn as a Greek revival inn.
According to the website:
The inn was built in 1842 and originally stood at the corner of Bluemound and Watertown Plank roads.
Daniel Brown purchased the property in 1857 and ran it as an inn for travelers going by stagecoach from Milwaukee to Watertown on the famed plank road.
By 1875, railroads replaced stagecoach travel and the inn property became a farm.
Charles Dunkel obtained the farm in 1887. Dunkel's descendent, John Behling, donated the inn to the city of Brookfield in 1980.
The historical society leased the inn from the city and moved the inn to its current location in 1981.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What makes a left turn arrow appropriate?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Any thoughts of turkey population control?
- Ask Now: Why can trains blow horns in Brookfield?
- Brookfield Ask Now: When will Calhoun Road be improved?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market?
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development?
- Ask Now: Do police keep those who live near crime scenes more informed?
- Ask Now: Are there any special rules for owners of pit bulls?
- Ask Now: Can you move snow into the street in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: How much are TIFs costing the city?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What will be done about the Elm Grove railroad crossing?
- Brookfield Ask Now: What are the plow drivers up to?
- Ask Now: How is Elm Grove's future park plan coming along?