Eble farm house torn down due to poor condition
Issue: A reader noticed the Eble Park farmhouse was removed. She wants to know when this happened, why it was removed, why residents weren't notified of plans to remove the house and why it wasn't relocated to the Elmbrook Historical Society.
Status: Ginny Bocek, Waukesha County Parks program specialist, said the poor condition of the house and safety concerns made it necessary to remove it.
She said the house was removed in late November and the Waukesha County Parks and Land Use posted information about the project on its website and the town of Brookfield website before demolition.
The farmhouse was not listed as historic on any local, state or federal registers. Despite the house not being historic, the county looked into having the structure relocated with the Elmbrook Historical Society or Old World Wisconsin, Bocek said. These options were not pursued due to the cost of removing lead paint and asbestos as well as updating it for safety and ADA accessibility.
For more information on the project, visit
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?
- Ask Now: Is Big Brother watching you?
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: The weeds are back — who is responsible?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?