Eble farm house torn down due to poor condition
Issue: A reader noticed the Eble Park farmhouse was removed. She wants to know when this happened, why it was removed, why residents weren't notified of plans to remove the house and why it wasn't relocated to the Elmbrook Historical Society.
Status: Ginny Bocek, Waukesha County Parks program specialist, said the poor condition of the house and safety concerns made it necessary to remove it.
She said the house was removed in late November and the Waukesha County Parks and Land Use posted information about the project on its website and the town of Brookfield website before demolition.
The farmhouse was not listed as historic on any local, state or federal registers. Despite the house not being historic, the county looked into having the structure relocated with the Elmbrook Historical Society or Old World Wisconsin, Bocek said. These options were not pursued due to the cost of removing lead paint and asbestos as well as updating it for safety and ADA accessibility.
For more information on the project, visit
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market?
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development?
- Ask Now: Do police keep those who live near crime scenes more informed?
- Ask Now: Are there any special rules for owners of pit bulls?
- Ask Now: Can you move snow into the street in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: How much are TIFs costing the city?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What will be done about the Elm Grove railroad crossing?
- Brookfield Ask Now: What are the plow drivers up to?
- Ask Now: How is Elm Grove's future park plan coming along?
- Ask Now: Why is fiber optic cable being installed in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: A railroad crossing on Calhoun Road makes for a rough ride. Are changes planned?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Library staff reorganization promotes flexibility
- Ask Now: When will the TIF referendum topic be discussed?
- Ask Now: Why are Christmas trees allowed in public spaces?
- Ask Now: What is MSO?
- Ask Now: Can you burn leaves in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Why are Brookfield utility bills going to West Allis?
- Ask Now: Wisconsin Ave. extension still in the works?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Why are lanes closed on Bluemound Road?
- Ask Now: Do park hours change with the seasons?