Eble farm house torn down due to poor condition
Issue: A reader noticed the Eble Park farmhouse was removed. She wants to know when this happened, why it was removed, why residents weren't notified of plans to remove the house and why it wasn't relocated to the Elmbrook Historical Society.
Status: Ginny Bocek, Waukesha County Parks program specialist, said the poor condition of the house and safety concerns made it necessary to remove it.
She said the house was removed in late November and the Waukesha County Parks and Land Use posted information about the project on its website and the town of Brookfield website before demolition.
The farmhouse was not listed as historic on any local, state or federal registers. Despite the house not being historic, the county looked into having the structure relocated with the Elmbrook Historical Society or Old World Wisconsin, Bocek said. These options were not pursued due to the cost of removing lead paint and asbestos as well as updating it for safety and ADA accessibility.
For more information on the project, visit
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why the bends in Pilgrim Road?
- Ask Now: Why isn't the city on Facebook?
- Ask Now: Why is work being done at the Quarry?
- Ask Now: How big are Brookfield's hills?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?
- Ask Now: What are Brookfield's policies for abandoned houses?
- Ask Now: What is an arterial road?
- Ask Now: Is Brookfield's population really that old?
- Ask Now: Any plans for Brookfield's former Venice Club?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why are dogs required to be licensed?
- Ask Now: How much is public service worth in the city of Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is there wifi at Brookfield city hall?
- Ask Now: Too much goose use of Fox Brook Park?
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?
- Ask Now: Does Elmbrook Humane Society leave animals outside?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Ask Now: Wireless dead zones, what is to be done?