The Brookfield Village Area, along Brookfield Road between Pleasant Street and Milwaukee Avenue, will host a second tree-lighting event in the city this year, thanks to a local Scout trying for the rank of Eagle.
Nick Reiels is in Boy Scout Troop 246. To become an Eagle Scout, he has to plan, develop and lead others in a service project that benefits the community. As Nick was searching for a project, he and his father and Scout Master, Mike Reiels, connected with two business owners in the area.
Dawn Farina lives near the Village Area. Paula Moylan owns Urban Upcycle, located on Brookfield Road near the railroad tracks. Both women were working together and holding meetings with neighboring business owners to find ways to increase consumer traffic in the corridor.
Farina and Moylan had originally thought about a having tree sale as a fundraiser, but Nick took it a step further by proposing a tree-lighting ceremony.
"I emailed a bunch of Scouts in the area to see if anyone wanted to do a fundraiser in the Village, and Mike mentioned that his son had an idea for an Eagle Scout project," Dawn said.
The 14-year-old freshman at Brookfield Central High School knew planning the event in less than two months would not be simple. Nick is responsible for planning how many lights are needed, purchasing them and finding someone to light the tree, with financial support from a local bank.
Timothy Casey, city economic development coordinator, assisted the group.
"We see this as the first project from a group of property owners, business owners and residents that will hopefully lead to ongoing efforts in the Village area," Casey said.
Mayor Steve Ponto will speak at the event. Refreshments will be provided as youth from Mary Linsmeier Schools day care sing and students from Brookfield Dance Academy perform.
If You Go
WHAT: Village Area tree lighting
WHEN:5 p.m. Dec. 6
WHERE:Miller Homes, 2925 N. Brookfield Road
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Nov. Dec. 7
- Brookfield panel recommends approval of public assistance for Milwaukee Tool expansion
- Brookfield East welcomes 'The Music Man' into winter theater production
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: Nov. 19
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Nov. 26
- Fairview South's annual Silent Auction and Craft Fair to raise funds for school iPads
- In Brief: Nov. 26
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: Nov. 26
- City of Brookfield to discuss potential financial aid for Milwaukee Tool expansion
- Suspect in Brookfield drive-by shooting charged in federal court for possession of a firearm