Is there a rumor you've heard you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy answers some of the mysteries of life in the Elmbrook area.
How many full-timers does the Brookfield library employ?
Issue: A reader heard that the Brookfield Public Library has 33 full-time employees and asked me to look into whether this was accurate because the number seemed rather high.
Status: Kathy Tuttrup, public services manager for the library, explained to me that the library reports to the state that it has 33.75 full-time equivalents. This includes all staff members, including maintenance workers, and the number of full-time equivalents is determined by the number of 40-hour weeks worked.
Tuttrup said she doesn't think the number of Brookfield library employees is out of line for a library of its size. She pointed me to the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction website, which provides data on all the libraries in Wisconsin. I found that the Brookfield Public Library serves 44,232 people and is open 67 hours a week during the winter and 64 hours during the summer.
I compared Brookfield's library to Wauwatosa's and found that they are fairly similar. Wauwatosa's library, which reported 26.67 full-time equivalents, serves 45,891 people and is open 71 hours a week during the winter and 64 hours a week in the summer.
To look into other factors or to compare Brookfield's library to other libraries around the state visit dpi.wi.gov, click on the "Data" tab and select "Public Library Statistics."
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Why are barns almost always painted red?
- Ask NOW: Did Marasco's Craft King close?
- Ask NOW: When will Brookfield expand its recycling program?
- Ask NOW: Flashing yellow turn arrows becoming more widely used statewide
- Ask NOW: Does the Brookfield Public Library routinely forgive fines?
- Does traffic light timing change during snowstorms?
- Ask NOW: What happens to blood after it's donated?
- Was a Brookfield cemetery relocated due to construction?
- Ask NOW: Has the city of Brookfield surveyed the white tail deer population this winter?
- Ask NOW: What happened to the Elm Grove Inn?
- Ask NOW: How are traffic cameras being used?
- Ask NOW: Who's responsible for clearing snow in city?
- Ask NOW: Driver annoyed she can't turn left at 144th and Capitol
- Ask NOW: Are more changes planned for Imperial Park?
- Ask NOW: Where are city vehicles repaired?
- Ask NOW: Reader doesn't like Capitol Drive sidewalks
- Ask NOW: Is Brookfield still trying to incorporate?
- Ask NOW: What's the story behind the Stagecoach Inn Museum?
- Ask NOW: Eble farm house torn down due to poor condition
- Ask NOW: Manhole frames recessed for a reason