Wisconsin's two most famous athletes are teaming with one of Milwaukee's pre-eminent restaurateurs to bring some MVP style to the west side.
Milwaukee Brewer Ryan Braun and Green Bay Packer Aaron Rodgers will join forces with SURG restaurant group - owner of Umami Moto, Carnevor and Distil restaurants in Milwaukee - to open a family-friendly eatery named 8*twelve in Brookfield next month.
The restaurant will be located in the former Charro building, 17800 W. Bluemound Road in the city of Brookfield.
"Aaron and I are not only great friends, but we both have wholeheartedly made long-term commitments to the sports fans of Wisconsin," Braun said in a news release. "We wanted to give them a home base to celebrate their favorite teams and enjoy some great food and service."
8*twelve will serve American food cooked atop a wood-fire grill.
SURG restaurant group has partnered with Braun in the past, creating Graffito, a successful restaurant in Milwaukee's Third Ward.
"Ryan's involvement with Graffito has been such a positive experience for both sides, so when another opportunity presented itself in Brookfield, we all agreed to move forward," SURG co-owner Omar Shaikh said. "Aaron had expressed interest in the business after visiting Graffito a few times and, with his friendship with Ryan, 8*twelve just fell into place.
"This will be great for the Brookfield area."
SURG CEO and co-owner Mike Polanski said additional locations for the joint venture already are being considered.
Rodgers, careful with his endorsement time, has been featured in ads for the Milwaukee Brewers this season and voiced his support for Braun during a performance-enhancing drugs arbitration process.
"Wisconsin has the greatest fans in the country," Rodgers said. "This is an excellent opportunity for me to work with Ryan on a project that will create something for fans of the Packers, Brewers and sports in general to take part in and enjoy."
This will be the second MVP quarterback to open a restaurant in the Milwaukee area, although Brett Favre's Steakhouse closed several years after opening downtown.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Adults and seniors invited to special ice skating event at Eble arena April 9
- Ask Now: How big are Brookfield's hills?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: April 2
- Brookfield couple charged in child neglect case
- School funding cuts are a hot topic at a Wauwatosa listening session
- Brookfield aldermen to vote next week on Irgens financial aid (1)
- Businesses team up to help victims of domestic violence
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: April 2
- Brookfield and Elm Grove In Our Schools: April 2
- Business Spotlight: Sensible Gurus of Brookfield understands that peace of mind is knowing your tech