A home in the 700 block of Oakwood Lane caught fire because cooking oil was left unattended, according to City of Brookfield firefighters.
According to a Fire Department press release:
Firefighters responded to the home at 770 Oakwood Lane about 6 p.m. and discovered smoke billowing from the front door and kitchen windows.
The owner was at home and said nobody was inside.
Unattended cooking oil started the top of the stove on fire.
Damage to the home is estimated at $40,000. The fire was contained to the kitchen, but the rest of the home was damaged by smoke.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield mosque, Jewish congregation forge a friendship
- Car repair center's planned move-in has condo owners concerned about noise
- Discount brand name store Ross Dress for Less to open in Brookfield Saturday (1)
- Television personality Giuliana Rancic making appearance in Brookfield
- Chicago restaurant Portillo's to bring first Wisconsin location to Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Oct. 8
- Bus shelter advertising approved by Brookfield aldermen
- Ask Now: Wisconsin Ave. extension still in the works?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 1
- The Corners, in the town of Brookfield, adds a women's fashion store to its growing list of tenants