A former bookkeeper of Brookfield-based Mailwaukee Mailing Equipment is accused of using a company credit card to draw cash advances and make unauthorized purchases totaling nearly $40,000 to fund her drug habit, according to a criminal complaint.
Nicole D. Buchert, 36, of West Allis has been charged with theft in a business setting totaling more than $10,000, identity theft and fraudulent use of a credit card in Waukesha County Circuit Court.
She faces a maximum sentence of 26 years in prison if convicted on all three felony counts.
According to the criminal complaint:
Buchert obtained a company credit card in her name while she worked as a bookkeeper for Mailwaukee Mailing Equipment, 17020 Pheasant Drive, in August, 2010.
Between August and February, Buchert racked up $38,501 in unauthorized cash advances and purchases on the account.
She told police she was addicted to cocaine and other drugs and was "stressed out" after borrowing money from friends.
Buchert told officers she used the card to fill people's cars with gasoline in exchange for drugs and purchased $100 gift cards to sell for $50 in order to buy drugs.
She also made 17 cash advances on the account totaling nearly $12,000.
Donald Goyette, owner and general manager of Mailwaukee Mailing Equipment, told police in February that Buchert had made the unauthorized transactions.
He said she was authorized to use the account to obtain records, but she wasn't authorized to obtain a company credit card with her name on it.
Buchert is scheduled to make an initial court appearance on the charges Aug. 31.
- Elm Grove Village Market Night to debut in June
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: May 26
- In Brief: Brookfield Sport Authority closing along with the rest of the chain
- Brookfield Ask Now: How does the city attack garlic mustard weed? (1)
- Cultural center for women moving to Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove go all out for Memorial Day
- Milwaukee Tool opts for a more high-tech look in its expansion
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: March 26
- Brookfield and Elm Grove In Our Schools: May 26
- Brookfield/Elm Grove News IQ: May 26