A former bookkeeper of Brookfield-based Mailwaukee Mailing Equipment is accused of using a company credit card to draw cash advances and make unauthorized purchases totaling nearly $40,000 to fund her drug habit, according to a criminal complaint.
Nicole D. Buchert, 36, of West Allis has been charged with theft in a business setting totaling more than $10,000, identity theft and fraudulent use of a credit card in Waukesha County Circuit Court.
She faces a maximum sentence of 26 years in prison if convicted on all three felony counts.
According to the criminal complaint:
Buchert obtained a company credit card in her name while she worked as a bookkeeper for Mailwaukee Mailing Equipment, 17020 Pheasant Drive, in August, 2010.
Between August and February, Buchert racked up $38,501 in unauthorized cash advances and purchases on the account.
She told police she was addicted to cocaine and other drugs and was "stressed out" after borrowing money from friends.
Buchert told officers she used the card to fill people's cars with gasoline in exchange for drugs and purchased $100 gift cards to sell for $50 in order to buy drugs.
She also made 17 cash advances on the account totaling nearly $12,000.
Donald Goyette, owner and general manager of Mailwaukee Mailing Equipment, told police in February that Buchert had made the unauthorized transactions.
He said she was authorized to use the account to obtain records, but she wasn't authorized to obtain a company credit card with her name on it.
Buchert is scheduled to make an initial court appearance on the charges Aug. 31.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Barre fitness trend moving to Brookfield
- Developers looking to start on Corners parking structure early
- School happenings: week of April 23
- County planning work on Brookfield intersection
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: April 23
- Things to do in Brookfield and Elm Grove: April 23
- Elmbrook student, teacher named 2015 Herb Kohl Excellence Scholarship and Fellowship recipients
- Learning Rx: Brookfield East students compete in Moody's Mega Math Challenge and win honorable menti
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: April 16