Brookfield city officials hope to hire a city clerk and appoint a Common Council representative for the city's 7th District in early September.
Shortly after City Clerk Kris Schmidt announced her resignation, 7th District Alderwoman Lisa Mellone announced she was resigning her post to pursue the city clerk position.
The Legislative and Licensing Committee on Tuesday agreed to begin accepting applications for the 7th District seat.
Schmidt told committee members they could also have chosen to leave the position vacant until the 2012 elections, or see if Mellone would agree to fill the seat until 2012 elections.
"I get concerned that we're a council of 14, and District 7 should have two representatives as soon as possible," Alderman Gary Mahkorn said.
Committee members said they hope the Common Council can vote on an appointment at its Sept. 6 meeting.
Brookfield Mayor Steven Ponto said he hopes to bring a candidate for city clerk before the Common Council for approval at that same meeting.
The city has narrowed 44 applicants for the position down to three:
Jennifer Goergen, Greenfield city clerk.
Anna Kettlewell, office administrator for the executive director of the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District.
Kelly Michaels, city clerk/personnel director for the city of Stoughton.
Mellone is not a finalist. She can apply to be reappointed to her aldermanic seat if she wishes.
- Mystery Photo Contest: June 30
- Residents, officials pleased with improvements at Calhoun Road railroad crossing in Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove In Brief: Elm Grove Library hosting a celebration of supper clubs
- Brookfield Ask Now: Will the pathway on Pilgrim be paved?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: June 30
- Brookfield residents unsatisfied by reduced levels of lighting at Golf Parkway
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: June 30
- Brookfield committee to study beekeeping
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Week of July 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: June 30