Brookfield city officials hope to hire a city clerk and appoint a Common Council representative for the city's 7th District in early September.
Shortly after City Clerk Kris Schmidt announced her resignation, 7th District Alderwoman Lisa Mellone announced she was resigning her post to pursue the city clerk position.
The Legislative and Licensing Committee on Tuesday agreed to begin accepting applications for the 7th District seat.
Schmidt told committee members they could also have chosen to leave the position vacant until the 2012 elections, or see if Mellone would agree to fill the seat until 2012 elections.
"I get concerned that we're a council of 14, and District 7 should have two representatives as soon as possible," Alderman Gary Mahkorn said.
Committee members said they hope the Common Council can vote on an appointment at its Sept. 6 meeting.
Brookfield Mayor Steven Ponto said he hopes to bring a candidate for city clerk before the Common Council for approval at that same meeting.
The city has narrowed 44 applicants for the position down to three:
Jennifer Goergen, Greenfield city clerk.
Anna Kettlewell, office administrator for the executive director of the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District.
Kelly Michaels, city clerk/personnel director for the city of Stoughton.
Mellone is not a finalist. She can apply to be reappointed to her aldermanic seat if she wishes.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: March 5
- Public Forum: The Corridor project is worthy of city support
- In Our Schools: March 5, 2015
- Construction starts on Brookfield Square expansion
- Wisconsin's Attorney General Brad Schimel reflects on first months in new office
- Elmbrook School District faces $1 million reduction in funding under Gov. Scott Walker's budget (6)
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Feb. 26
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Feb. 26
- North side Brookfield residents continue to battle flooding
- Ask Now: Any plans for Brookfield's former Venice Club?