Brookfield city officials hope to hire a city clerk and appoint a Common Council representative for the city's 7th District in early September.
Shortly after City Clerk Kris Schmidt announced her resignation, 7th District Alderwoman Lisa Mellone announced she was resigning her post to pursue the city clerk position.
The Legislative and Licensing Committee on Tuesday agreed to begin accepting applications for the 7th District seat.
Schmidt told committee members they could also have chosen to leave the position vacant until the 2012 elections, or see if Mellone would agree to fill the seat until 2012 elections.
"I get concerned that we're a council of 14, and District 7 should have two representatives as soon as possible," Alderman Gary Mahkorn said.
Committee members said they hope the Common Council can vote on an appointment at its Sept. 6 meeting.
Brookfield Mayor Steven Ponto said he hopes to bring a candidate for city clerk before the Common Council for approval at that same meeting.
The city has narrowed 44 applicants for the position down to three:
Jennifer Goergen, Greenfield city clerk.
Anna Kettlewell, office administrator for the executive director of the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District.
Kelly Michaels, city clerk/personnel director for the city of Stoughton.
Mellone is not a finalist. She can apply to be reappointed to her aldermanic seat if she wishes.
- Elm Grove Village Market Night to debut in June
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: May 26
- In Brief: Brookfield Sport Authority closing along with the rest of the chain
- Brookfield Ask Now: How does the city attack garlic mustard weed? (1)
- Cultural center for women moving to Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove go all out for Memorial Day
- Milwaukee Tool opts for a more high-tech look in its expansion
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: March 26
- Brookfield and Elm Grove In Our Schools: May 26
- Brookfield/Elm Grove News IQ: May 26