City Clerk Kris Schmidt's impending resignation has prompted the resignation of 7th District Alderwoman Lisa Mellone; who intends to seek appointment to the city clerk position.
Mellone, a two-term alderwoman, announced her resignation in an e-mail to her constituents on Wednesday.
"As a candidate for office in two elections, I've come to appreciate and respect the election process and therefore, have a strong desire to ensure continued fair, accurate and reliable elections while hopefully serving as city clerk," Mellone said.
Mellone — who serves on the city's Finance Committee and Board of Public Works — said in the e-mail that it was appropriate to tender her resignation before applying to be appointed city clerk.
Mayor Steven Ponto will interview candidates and appoint an interim representative for the 7th District until an election can be held.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Notes: Dec. 18
- Brookfield public hearing brings out sizable support for quarry housing proposal
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Council approves key steps for luxury apartment project
- Brookfield shoppers advised to take caution
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Dec. 11
- Brookfield Central alum publishes first book
- Town of Brookfield welcomes potential new partner on The Corners development
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: Dec. 18
- Local artist Sue Lawton writes and illustrates 'The Fire Keepers' for Sharon Lynne Wilson Center