City Clerk Kris Schmidt's impending resignation has prompted the resignation of 7th District Alderwoman Lisa Mellone; who intends to seek appointment to the city clerk position.
Mellone, a two-term alderwoman, announced her resignation in an e-mail to her constituents on Wednesday.
"As a candidate for office in two elections, I've come to appreciate and respect the election process and therefore, have a strong desire to ensure continued fair, accurate and reliable elections while hopefully serving as city clerk," Mellone said.
Mellone — who serves on the city's Finance Committee and Board of Public Works — said in the e-mail that it was appropriate to tender her resignation before applying to be appointed city clerk.
Mayor Steven Ponto will interview candidates and appoint an interim representative for the 7th District until an election can be held.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield National Night Out unites community against crime
- Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts receives $50,000 grant
- Spirited duo brings entertainment, inspiration to Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: July 31
- Upcoming meetings: July 31
- Village heeds objections to trash change
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Elm Grove man imparts financial knowledge to youth
- 500 students attend Brookfield Academy's Summer Days Program