City Clerk Kris Schmidt's impending resignation has prompted the resignation of 7th District Alderwoman Lisa Mellone; who intends to seek appointment to the city clerk position.
Mellone, a two-term alderwoman, announced her resignation in an e-mail to her constituents on Wednesday.
"As a candidate for office in two elections, I've come to appreciate and respect the election process and therefore, have a strong desire to ensure continued fair, accurate and reliable elections while hopefully serving as city clerk," Mellone said.
Mellone — who serves on the city's Finance Committee and Board of Public Works — said in the e-mail that it was appropriate to tender her resignation before applying to be appointed city clerk.
Mayor Steven Ponto will interview candidates and appoint an interim representative for the 7th District until an election can be held.
- Brookfield gears up for July 4 events
- Elmbrook names Sobocinski as new assistant superintendent for business services
- Brookfield Central student charged for bomb scare
- New Starbucks to anchor retail building at Sendik's Towne Centre in Brookfield (1)
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: June 23
- Brookfield aldermen OK Artisan apartments, public funding (8)
- Brookfield council reaffirms committee's denial of TIF referendum referral (2)
- Trainer allegedly sexually assaulted client at town of Brookfield fitness center
- Ask Now: City's rummage sale rules?
- In brief: RR crossing closed (5)