City Clerk Kris Schmidt's impending resignation has prompted the resignation of 7th District Alderwoman Lisa Mellone; who intends to seek appointment to the city clerk position.
Mellone, a two-term alderwoman, announced her resignation in an e-mail to her constituents on Wednesday.
"As a candidate for office in two elections, I've come to appreciate and respect the election process and therefore, have a strong desire to ensure continued fair, accurate and reliable elections while hopefully serving as city clerk," Mellone said.
Mellone — who serves on the city's Finance Committee and Board of Public Works — said in the e-mail that it was appropriate to tender her resignation before applying to be appointed city clerk.
Mayor Steven Ponto will interview candidates and appoint an interim representative for the 7th District until an election can be held.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Christian's Ryan Dekker named Teacher of the Year by local radio station
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100?
- Wauwatosa Police Report: May 10-16
- Council: Smaller setback is enough for City Lights
- Brookfield council sends well head amendment back to committee
- Elmbrook Rotary Club looking for more teams for annual Spikes for Tykes fundraiser
- Officials concerned over amount of retail on Bluemound (3)
- Brookfield criticizes state Hotel and Lodging Association proposal
- Brookfield chicken amendment moves on
- Brookfield to continue chicken talks