Polished nail salon owner takes pride in details
Perfectionism has led to warm welcome so far
Manicuring was only supposed to be a part-time job for Alexandria Volk - temporary employment to help fund her pursuit of a degree in finance from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
But neither graduation nor her subsequent white-collar jobs could file away Volk's interest in cosmetology. She continued to moonlight in the profession, until earlier this summer when she committed to it full time and opened Polished, A Nail Boutique.
The Elm Grove nail salon also offers a premium line of organic skin care products.
"I had no intention of staying in the beauty industry after college graduation, but something told me to hang on," Volk said. "Looking back at it now, I feel like it was just a natural progression."
She said she saw an opportunity to improve upon industry shortcomings, as well as put her unique stamp on a nail salon.
"My experience has been that small details are often pushed aside or overlooked, so I take pride in being a perfectionist and in striving to make our manicures and pedicures a relaxing, therapeutic and personal experience for guests, rather than just an appointment," Volk said. "Our appointments are 15 minutes longer than other salons and spas, so guests feel comfortable and not rushed. This allows our nail designers to be meticulous in their work.
"We also have industry-leading pedicure foot spas and a dry bar, where guests can relax after their service, read or watch TV, and enjoy a snack."
Volk reports that Polished has been well received since opening its doors in the Autumn Grove Plaza.
"I look forward to beating - not meeting - guest expectations here," she said.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Polished, A Nail Boutique
TYPE OF BUSINESS: upscale nail salon
ADDRESS: Autumn Grove Plaza, 12898 W. Bluemound Road, Elm Grove
PHONE: (262) 923-7153
OWNER: Alexandria (Alex) Volk
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Progress always involves risk; you can't steal second base and keep your foot on first." - Frederick Wilcox
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Spring Bank risked weak economy but won big
- Having a party? Don't fret, decorative tableware rentals available
- Brand personality key to architecture
- Science, intuition work together at Campione Chiropractic
- All-natural, fresh made cookies are staple at Sweet!
- Dental practice remembers motto: 'Never treat a stranger'
- Geary Dentistry on cutting edge of dental techniques
- Success brewing at Fava Tea in Brookfield
- Decision to strike out on his own pays off for LePoidevin Marketing head
- E-Freight Courier service stands out with niche market, high standards
- United Driving School has personal approach to teaching students
- United Driving School aims for safe, confident motorists
- Skilled team makes variety possible at Trace-A-Matic
- Clark Associates touts strong partnerships as key
- Mother-daughter team specialize in creating invitations, stationary
- Medical spa offers customers youthful look
- Good vision not enough to ensure healthy eyes
- Spectrum changes with times to best serve clients
- Waukesha is latest location for Learning Rx
- Couple opens boxing club in Brookfield