Tommy Douyette and Lynn Hajny waived preliminary hearings and pleaded not guilty to homicide charges on Friday.
Douyette, 42, is charged with first degree intentional homicide and Hajny, 48, is charged with being a party to first degree intentional homicide in the beating and strangulation death of 63-year-old John Aegerter in his Brookfield home on Golf Parkway on June 22.
Douyette and Hajny waived preliminary hearings and pleaded not guilty to the charges in separate hearings before Waukesha County Court Commissioner Martin Binn on Friday.
Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Lough would have had to present evidence to establish probable cause to believe Douyette and Hajny committed felonies in a preliminary hearing.
Douyette was represented by attorney Jonathan Smith of Milwaukee. Hajny was represented by attorney Michael Hart of Milwaukee.
They are scheduled to return to court for a hearing before Waukesha County Circuit Judge Patrick Haughney on Sept. 26.
According to a criminal complaint, Douyette and Hajny went to Aegerter's home to confront him about money owed to Hajny's husband. Douyette, under the direction of Hajny, beat and strangled Aegerter.
A tip from Hajny's cousin led to their arrests in Slinger on June 22.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elm Grove releases surveillance photos of TCF Bank robbery suspects (7)
- Elmbrook School Board takes a look at crowding at Swanson school (11)
- Brookfield/Elm Grove News IQ: Feb. 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Feb. 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Feb. 4
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development? (6)
- Brookfield man charged with shooting neighbors arrested again for assaulting hotel manager (3)
- Town of Brookfield man faces possible prison time in domestic violence case
- Brookfield Elm Grove Interfaith Network sets sights on building bridges
- Brookfield Square already planning another expansion, including parking structure (2)