A man received $550 in counterfeit cash when he attempted to sell a car June 28, according to a city of Brookfield police report.
Also from the report:
The man met with prospective buyers, an unidentified man and a woman, in the 15000 block of Gebhardt Road to sell a used car for $700 in cash.
When the victim attempted to deposit the cash into a bank account, he learned he had been given $550 in counterfeit bills.
It appears a bleach solution had been used to wash ink from $5 bills and then they were made to appear more valuable.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News & Notes: March 13
- Junior Guild donates $40,000 to local organizations
- District 7 alderwoman challenged by longtime resident Kris Seals
- Ask NOW: Is the emerald ash borer coming to Brookfield?
- Police Report: March 11
- Someone You Should Know: Special education teacher strives to help students
- Mayoral candidates discuss budgeting, communication
- You asked, mayoral hopefuls answered
- Man pleads not guilty to sexual assault in Brookfield