A man received $550 in counterfeit cash when he attempted to sell a car June 28, according to a city of Brookfield police report.
Also from the report:
The man met with prospective buyers, an unidentified man and a woman, in the 15000 block of Gebhardt Road to sell a used car for $700 in cash.
When the victim attempted to deposit the cash into a bank account, he learned he had been given $550 in counterfeit bills.
It appears a bleach solution had been used to wash ink from $5 bills and then they were made to appear more valuable.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why the bends in Pilgrim Road?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- In Brief: April 23
- New Brookfield water main set for Hidden Hills
- Imagination runs wild in Brookfield East's spring play, 'Twelfth Night'
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: April 23
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: April 23
- Brookfield police warn of scams, warm weather crime
- Brookfield couple charged in child neglect case pleads not guilty
- Brookfield council postpones decision on bus shelters