A drunken Brookfield man searching for a place to sleep tried to get caught stealing so he could spend the night in a jailhouse bed, police said.
An officer saw the man steal a number plate from a sign at a gas station at 2:41 a.m. Friday, according to Brookfield police.
When asked why he took the plate, the man said he was drunk and desperate for a warm bed - at any cost.
The man was not cited, and was released to his mother.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Corners gets approval, town funding
- Brookfield likely to renew contract to attract visitors
- Tax case, Sileno talks run up city legal fees
- Police Report: Dec. 3
- News & Notes: Dec. 5
- City trails ahead in its Greenway path plans
- Former mayor Jeff Speaker will challenge Steve Ponto in Brookfield
- In Our Schools
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?
- On the Move: Dec. 5