A drunken Brookfield man searching for a place to sleep tried to get caught stealing so he could spend the night in a jailhouse bed, police said.
An officer saw the man steal a number plate from a sign at a gas station at 2:41 a.m. Friday, according to Brookfield police.
When asked why he took the plate, the man said he was drunk and desperate for a warm bed - at any cost.
The man was not cited, and was released to his mother.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bus shelter advertising approved by Brookfield aldermen
- Ask Now: Wisconsin Ave. extension still in the works?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 1
- The Corners, in the town of Brookfield, adds a women's fashion store to its growing list of tenants
- Brookfield city council to meet Tuesday at 7:45 p.m.
- Brookfield church hopes to bring residents, local music together
- Auditions at Brookfield's Wilson Center may take singers to the Met
- Elm Grove proposed budget requires reduction
- Brookfield East High School recruits students for new DECA chapter
- Brookfield drunk driver leads police on 80 mph chase