Established in 1965, HAWS assists over 6,000 animals and welcomes more than 31,000 human visitors annually. As an "open admissions" shelter we lead the community in animal welfare and assure sanctuary for all animals in need, regardless of age, health or temperament. HAWS is a non-profit, entirely donor-fund organization with an active humane education program, and both wildlife and companion animal rescue services for Waukesha County.
HAWS License #267280-DS
The family pet is just that – family. They are such an integral part of our lives that often we don’t know what we’d do without them. Here at HAWS we daily celebrate pets and their people, the bond forged between us, and the importance of pets to our community.
Children who have pets in their lives learn greater responsibility and compassion for living things all around them. Seniors with pets are shown to have lower blood pressure, decreased stress levels, and are more physically active and engaged in daily life. And, single adults know that pets are a great way to meet people!
In their honor we present the Top 10 Reasons the Family Pet is TRULY "Family."
10. In these cost-cutting times, walking the dog is cheaper than a gym membership.
9. When you have a pet, you’re never lonely.
8. Pets are great listeners...and not too bad as therapists, either!
7. Your pet always thinks you’re a star and is happy to see you when you come home.
6. MOST of the time pets don’t “sass” back…well, unless you have a cat or a terrier...
5. Many pets sleep the day away – and are happy to take a nap with you, too.
4. And while we’re napping, some pets make great pillows.
3. No need to get out the vacuum to clean up various spills – Rover's Cleaning Service is at the ready!
2. Who needs an alarm system – or a door bell for that matter? Pets are always ready for visitors.
1. Pets are great kissers. (wink!)
By the way - at HAWS you can learn all about about how to integrate that new pet into your family successfully. Talk to our adoption counselors, make an appointment with our pet behaviorists, or sign up for one of our many classes or seminars.