Established in 1965, HAWS assists over 6,000 animals and welcomes more than 31,000 human visitors annually. As an "open admissions" shelter we lead the community in animal welfare and assure sanctuary for all animals in need, regardless of age, health or temperament. HAWS is a non-profit, entirely donor-fund organization with an active humane education program, and both wildlife and companion animal rescue services for Waukesha County.
HAWS License #267280-DS
JOIN US NEXT SATURDAY FOR THIS ALL-AGES, PETS WELCOME EVENT!
And don't forget the Pet Photo Contest to benefit the paws & claws at HAWS...
We'll see YOU there!
One unfortunate affect of our economy is what it has done to the non-profit world. We thought fundraising was challenging before...!
But creativity is the key - and we have loads of creativity at HAWS. (We have loads of laundry, too, but that's another blog entry entirely.) Thanks to some fun-loving folks who work and/or volunteer here and their friends and contacts who are HAWS fans, we have some very neat activities coming up to help the HAWS cause. Come join us!
HAWS Mobile Adoption Unit Brings Happy Tails to YOU!
Our Mobile unit and adoptable pets will be at Eclectica Bead Studio TOMORROW, August 25th, from 1-6pm. They be at New Berlin Woodcraft on August 28th from 10am - 1pm, and then September is jam-packed with visits. Check out the whole schedule here.
Getting by with a Little Help from our Friends:
The Friends of HAWS group ALWAYS has something neat planned - upcoming events include the Holiday Craft Bazaar & Bake Sale (yum!) and the annual bowling event (great family fun). Learn more about them here, or just c'mon over to their monthly meeting, held the second Wednesday of each month here at HAWS.
Join our Team! Show Your Spirit!
Our fall fundraiser is fast approaching. HAWS Homecoming 2010, October 16th at Olympia Resort, will feature all the great things every annual gala does - fantastic food and beverages, silent/live auctions, casino games, music, adoptable pets - and this year we're even going to watch the UW vs. Ohio State game during our event. Not only that, but one of the big-screen TVs we'll be watching it on will be raffled off! Gooooo Team! And bring YOUR whole team, too - this event makes a great office party or company outing, and you're supporting a great cause at the same time.
By the way - we'd LOVE to accept your donation of an auction item for our Homecoming event. Contact email@example.com if you have a great connection to game tickets, home-decor items and whatnot else!
By the way, part 2 - did you hear WE WON AN AWARD?!?!?!!!
At HAWS we welcome the new season with a full calendar - including our annual meeting, classes and seminars, Mobile Adoption visits and more…all leading up to our fall fundraiser, HAWS Homecoming 2010! And don't forget, there are always paws and claws available for adoption at HAWS!
Some September highlights:
- HAWS annual meeting is Monday, September 20th at 7:00 p.m., featuring the year in review and election of new board members. All are welcome, voting is by membership only.
- Two special Mobile Adoption Center events include (1) Dog Day Afternoon on Sunday, September 12th at the Waukesha Expo Center grounds right across from our shelter, and (2) a full day of activities supporting the HAWS cause on September 18th at the Shoppes at the Fox River on Sunset Dr. in Waukesha - especially at Noodles & Co., Petco and Maurices! We're bringing happy tails to your neighborhood - come see us.
- Various 6-week canine obedience classes begin on September 8th, 11th and 16th.
- The Friends of HAWS monthly planning meeting is on September 8th.
- Guinea Pig and Rabbit Pedicures are available for a donation on September 8th and 18th.
- We’ll be “Solving Common Canine Behavior Problems” with a free seminar on September 13th.
- Learn to “Keep your Puppy and Your Sanity” with a free seminar on September 19th.
- Our monthly First Aid for Pets seminar is on September 25th.
- Meet a greyhound and talk adoption through the HAWS-GPA partnership on September 25th.
Details, locations and registration (as needed) can be found on our website calendar, “Upcoming Events”.
By the way - you DON'T want to miss our fall fundraiser, HAWS Homecoming 2010! We’re Celebrating our Alumni with a football-themed party, featuring a Homecoming Court of adoptable pets; festive parade; ‘fan’-tastic food, silent/live auctions and casino gaming. We’ll even be watching the UW vs. Ohio State game – and raffling off the big-screen TV! General admission and VIP tickets for HAWS “big game” are now available, as are parade floats and additional sponsorships. Call 262-542-8851 or visit hawspets.org.